Rate A Film, Name An Actor

andy7

I just came up with this today, and I hope that you guys may enjoy it. It's pretty simple; someone names an actor, then the next poster chooses a film with that actor in it, and if they've seen it, rate it and give a little description why, and comment on the actor's work in the film. And then they post a new actor. Rinse & repeat.

I'll post again to show how it works.

Enjoy! :D

---

Guy Pearce

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Road (2009), 10/10

One of my favourite films, but definitely not for everyone. A minimalist film of sorts, there are only a few main characters. It is a very rough film, looking at the most depraved aspects of humanity in a post-apocalyptic world, but it is so beautifully told. The love between father & son is palpable.

It is based on Cormac McCarthy's masterpiece of the same name, and it is one of the best book-to-film adaptions that I have ever seen.

Guy Pearce makes a short, but believable performance at the very end of the film.

---

Tom Hanks

Edited by Guest
Addition to post

Roadhouse (1989) 5/10

In this predictable, pedestrian film Patrick Swayze plays a professional bouncer who is hired to keep the peace at a newly refurbished roadside tavern. Unfortunately, Swayze's character Dalton gets more than he bargains for when he runs up against the goons employed by the local town's business magnate and resident extortionist, Brad Wesley. Needing help, Dalton calls in his mentor and legendary "cooler", Wade Garrett, played by Sam Elliott. Elliott and the music of Jeff Healey are the lone bright spots in this movie.

Sam Elliott is his usual, gruff and laconic anti-hero who provides his wry observations of the human condition.

Christopher Plummer

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011), 9/10

Legendary actor Christopher Plummer puts on a typically fine performance in a supporting role in this very intensely brutal and cathartic film, definitely not for one with a weak stomach. He plays a father who hires a journalist to find out what happened to a woman who disappeared 40 years previously. The main leads are played by Daniel Craig & Rooney Mara.

---

Laurence Fishburne

Hidalgo (2004) 8/10

Inspired by real-life U.S. Calvary horseman Frank Hopkins (played by Viggo Mortensen) and his alleged participation in a race that takes place in the late 1800's.

It's an adventure story which shows the devotion Hopkins had for his horse, Hidalgo, as they travel 3000 miles in the "Ocean Of Fire" endurance race across an Arabian desert.

The visual effects of sandstorms, giant locusts, and the competition are captivating.

Mortensen plays the part of the legendary distance rider well and gets 2 thumbs-up from me. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

------------------------

Paul Newman :bow:

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (2013), 8/10

Ron Burgundy is back with his team to take on the first ever 24-hour news channel. It's quite a funny film, fans of the first movie should definitely enjoy it.

There was a fight scene in the first film between different news teams and it was very over the top. They really upped the ante for the fight scene in the sequel, where Will Smith makes a cameo as the leader of the ESPN news crew.

---

Denzel Washington

Safe House (2012) 7/10

A reasonably interesting and well-crafted spy caper. Washington plays Tobin Frost, a suspected rogue CIA agent who is sent for interrogation to a safe house in South Africa. Ryan Reynolds plays Matt Weston, a CIA rookie who is, ostensibly, in charge of the safe house. During the interrogation, mercenaries who want Frost attack the safe house and Frost and Weston are forced to run for their lives.

The acting is solid, and there are enough plot twists to make the movie interesting.

Sean Connery

The Rock (1996), 7/10

Sean Connery stars as an ex-con alongside Nicolas Cage as they lead a counter attack against a rogue military unit located in Alcatraz who are threatening to use nerve gas on San Francisco.

It's a decent action film and Connery plays his role with ease, as usual.

---

Sylvester Stallone

50 First Dates (2004) 7/10

Lucy (played by Drew Barrymore) is the sweet girl with no short-term memory and is being wooed by love-struck Henry (played by Adam Sandler) over and over again, since she can't remember who he is the following day.

It's a decent romantic comedy and Barrymore is very charming in her role. :googly:

------------------------

Steven Seagal :susel: :rockon:

Rambo 9/10

Lone mercenary kicking ass. 'Nuff said.

Are you referring to the 2008 film? It came out the week before my 18th birthday, the ticket checker asked what age I was, but she let my dad & I in luckily! There was no one else in the screening.

You're right, Stallone kicks some serious ass in it! That man is ridiculous, he's nearly 70 and he's still kicking ass and taking names! If you're into 80's style action/thriller films, then I'd highly recommend 'Bullet To The Head (2012)'. Stallone is being Stallone, I love it!

Apparently, Rambo V is in production, according to IMBd.

The plot synopsis so far is, "Rambo goes up against a Mexican cartel in what's reported to be his last adventure."

That sounds sick! :D

---

Machete (2010), 7/10

Ridiculous, over the top, plenty of gratuitous violence and lots of fun. It was directed by Robert Rodriguez, so you sort of know what to expect. Machete (played by Danny Trejo) has been set up by the man who hired him for an assassination, so he goes on a quest for revenge.

Seagal plays one of the baddies. It wasn't a hard part to do, he just had to be a badass!

---

Michael Douglas

Romancing The Stone (1984) 8/10

Douglas plays Jack Colton, an irreverant mercenary who becomes embroiled in the problems of a romance novelist who is in Colombia trying to rescue her sister-in-law from the drug lords who kidnapped her. The romance novelist, played brilliantly by Kathleen Turner :googly: , has in her possession a treasure map which is coveted by numerous people including the drug lords, a corrupt cop and Colton himself.

This is a highly entertaining romantic adventure with great acting performances.

Dennis Quaid

Are you referring to the 2008 film? It came out the week before my 18th birthday, the ticket checker asked what age I was, but she let my dad & I in luckily! There was no one else in the screening.

You're right, Stallone kicks some serious ass in it!

Yep, I am :wink:

Quaid: "Wyatt Earp" (1994) 8/10

My favorite "legend of the old west" is Doc Holliday (played by Quaid) & he does a great job with it.

Kiefer Sutherland

Edited by Guest

Young Guns(1988) 7.5/10(

A retelling of the story of Billy The Kid starring some of Hollywood's brightest young stars of the time. Sutherland plays one of Billy The Kid's ruthless gang which seeks violent retribution for the murder of a friend and mentor.

A rousing Western with good chemistry between the leads.

Cary Grant (I'm dating myself)

North By Northwest (1959), 9/10

It's one of those legendary films, expertly directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It's a classic example of the mistaken identity trope, and it is done so well. Cary Grant plays Roger O. Thornhill, the man who is mistaken for a spy, and must escape his captors and figure out what the hell is going on! Support is offered by Eva Marie Saint & James Mason, and the rest of the cast are also on fine form.

Cary Grant is as suave as ever, and he is especially fantastic in the famous crop duster scene! One of the most memorable scenes in film history.

The fact that Hitchcock directed Vertigo (1958), North By Northwest (1959) & Psycho (1960), 3 classic films, in a row, is nothing short of astounding!

---

Mila Kunis

Oz The Great And Powerful (2013) 6/10

The Wizard Of Oz story related from the perspective of the Wizard.

Kunis plays Theodora, an idealistic witch who falls for the dubious charms of the self-serving, small town con man who accidentally arrives in Oz and is widely believed to be the great Wizard Of Oz.

Oz becomes smitten with Glinda, a good witch and rival of Theodora. The beautiful Theodora becomes enraged and is turned into the hideous Wicked Witch Of The West by her evil sister Evanora.

Oz must use all his guile and talent for illusion to save the people of Oz from the evil machinations of Theodora and Evanora.

Mila is quite convincing as Theodora, the woman scorned. The movie, however, never really captured my imagination.

Ewan McGregor

Edited by Guest

The Island (2005), 7/10

An underrated film in my opinion. Ewan McGregor plays Lincoln Six Echo, a 'harvestable being' that is being kept in an underground Utopian facility in the desert as a source of replacement body parts, along with numerous other beings, for the wealthy people who can afford that service. These beings are kept in a state of ignorance (obviously) and never question their existence.

But when Six Echo discovers the real reason behind his existence, he goes on the run. His love interest is played by Scarlett Johansson. Sean Bean plays Dr. Bernard Merrick, the man behind the facility. Steve Buscemi plays James McCord, the man who helps Six Echo along the way.

The film is directed by Michael Bay, but there aren't as many explosions as in his more recent efforts. McGregor plays his part well and has a decent supporting cast behind him.

---

Kevin Spacey

Se7en (1995), 10/10

As Rayzor said, describing anything is a spoiler! :laughing:

Paltrow does a good job of playing Mills' (Brad Pitt) wife Tracy. Excellent leads are played by Morgan Freeman & Brad Pitt. They play a vet & rookie cop respectively, on the hunt for a serial killer who uses the seven deadly sins as their MO. I literally can't say anything else!

Mickey Rourke

"What's in the box?" :goof:

-----------------------

The Wrestler (2008) 8/10

Rourke plays a wrestler who retires but finds normal life difficult to handle. Does a fine job being an un-nerved man despite a loose story (IMO).

Courtney Cox