James Garner

Carl

He was one of my favourite actors and the star of two of my favourite television shows: The Rockford Files and Maverick.

He was brilliant in some movie gems like "One Special Night", " Space Cowboys", "My Fellow Americans", "Victor Victoria" and "Murphy's Romance".

The characters he portrayed were people with whom almost

everyone could relate.

He will be sorely missed.

At least he didn't go before he got to do "The Notebook." He was totally and tragically believable in that movie!

I watched a very early "Maverick" episode on YouTube last night, "Stage Coach West" I believe it was. The story was predictably sophomoric, as many 1950's westerns are, but what got me is that early on, Garner's Brett Maverick was written as a much darker character than the smiling, wise-cracking cowboy into which he eventually evolved in that series. I think that evolution had much to do with Garner's on-screen charm and gentlemanly good looks. Just too difficult for him to be a somewhat sinister 'bad boy' or perceived as having a heavy-natured heart.

Hope he was as nice in real life as he seemed in production.

RIP

I think The Notebook might have been his best movie role. Although everything he did was done so well it's hard to pick just one. A class act according to his peers on "Rockford Files".

I completely believe them.

I love the Polaroid commercials he did with Mariette Hartley back in the late 70's. The repartee between them was so realistic that many people actually believed they were married in real life. Hartley also appeared in a few Rockford Files episodes. She loved working with him and said he was a gentleman and consummate professional.

Occasionally a celebrity passing has more impact on me. This one was one. I was in Southern California when my wife held up her cell phone to show me the story, James Garner dies at 84.

She knew I would be moved!

Wow, my mom and I would watch that show (Rockford Files) religiously. When in came out on dvd I was first in line. The theme song is forever in my "skull juke box".

He was a an iconic actor, the everymans everyman!! The coolest of the cool.

At the tone leave your name and number!!