soul survivors

rico

Am making a CD (though it will probably end up as two) for my nephew consisting of soul music that's not Motown or rap. Since I grew up in the 70's I have that era pretty well covered--Tower of Power, Al Green, Sly, Stevie Wonder, Blood Sweat & Tears, not to mention James Brown (Mother Popcorn--the bomb)and Aretha (Daydreaming). I'll include Prince (I think Sexy MF), Flashlight by Parliament (one of the great bass songs of all time), as well as Laid Back Girl by Maze, and probably something by Cameo (and oh yeah Killer by Seal--one of the most intense songs I ever heard).

Okay, now that you see the criteria, I could use some suggestions for other jams, especially 80's and beyond. Please no Babyface-type stuff, no gangster rap, though stuff along the lines of Arrested Development or De La Soul--a very underrated group--would be OK. Also, songs from beat-rock bands like the Chili Peppers and Soul Coughing are good.

Thanks for the help, compadres. (And hey, by the way, this site rocks.) :thumbsup: