Best Song in another language

MindCrime

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a guy in the late 70's that had a hit in French. he was called Plastic Bertrand. I can't remember the song title because, well, it was in French. I do have the album though. :laughing:

"Ca Plane Pour Moi", 1978. It was PUNK song, but I don't know what it translates to. He is Belgian. :)

"Sukiyaki" was a huge worlwide Hit in 1962 for the late Ky Sakamoto. In Japan it was titled "Ueo Muite Aruko" (Walk With Your Chin Up"). I'll also go along with a couple of others already mentioned - Domenico Mudugno's 1958 "Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu" (In The Blue Sky Painted Blue - To Fly) and Nena's 1984 Anti-War/ Anti Nuclear Classic "99 Luftballons" (99 Red Balloons).

99 Luftballoons is pretty well known here. Franz Ferdinand did a German version of their song "Tell Her Tonight", which I love ::

Sorry, I don't know that one. We only ever heard from them once with "99 Luftballons". I notice you said "their song". I think you'd be one of the few people who know they are a group. I always thought "Nena" was a solo artist until recently. (And you are right about Geno in the other post). Welcome to Songfacts. :) :) :)

Sorry, I don't know that one. We only ever heard from them once with "99 Luftballons". I notice you said "their song". I think you'd be one of the few people who know they are a group. I always thought "Nena" was a solo artist until recently. (And you are right about Geno in the other post). Welcome to Songfacts. :) :) :)

Nena is a solo artist who sang 99 Luftballons.

Franz Ferdinand are a group who sand a song called "Tell Her Tonight" and recorded it in german as well.

They're aren't related in anyway! lol

Think he worded it wrongly

:doh:

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

"Why's it never light on my lawn

Why does it rain and never say good-day to the newborn

On the big screen they showed us the sun

But not as bright in life as the real one

It's never quite the same as the real one

And tell me grey seal

How does it feel

To be so wise

To see through eyes

That only see what's real

Tell me grey seal

I never learned why meteors were formed

I only farmed in schools that were so warn and torn

If anyone can cry then so can I

I read books and draw life from the eye

All my life is drawings from the eye

Your mission bells were wrought by ancient men

The roots were formed by twisted roots

Your roots were twisted then

I was re-born before all life could die

The Phoenix bird will leave this world to fly

If the Phoenix bird can fly then so can I

And tell me grey seal

How does it feel

To be so wise

To see through eyes

That only see what's real

Tell me grey seal"

(Here's where we need the piano graemlin.)

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

This was my childhood favourite, I don't know if it ever hit the US charts: "Comment te dire adieu" by Françoise Hardy. Anybody remember her?

...Sous aucun prétexte je ne veux

avoir de réflexes, malheureux,

il faut que tu m'expliques, un peu plus mieux

comment te dire adieu ...

Teresa, that´s one of my fave songs ever!! It´s written by Serge Gainsbourg (the french lyrics...)and I would suggest Gainsbourg should have la Légion d´Honneur posthumous. I don´t know who sang it in English, it´s "It hurts to say goodbye" and its credited Gold/Goland.

Are you French, btw? (I am...) It´s strange to find people in Spain to know the words...just as strange as to be talking in English with a Spanish girl!

Hi and a big welcome Teresa. She never charted in the US, but had 3 Top 40 Hits in the UK and the one big one here in Australia,"Only You Can Do It" (sang in English) #3 in 1966. :)

Thanks for the welcome and for the info, Old 55! That "stage name" of yours sounds like we're the same generation :coolio:.

For those who don´t know, Françoise Hardy is THE French pop singer of the 60s... she´s still recording, and she was friends with Mick Jagger. As for serge gainsbourg, he´s a genius... only you must understand french to like him...

Of course, my favourite singer in another language is Françoise Hardy, my favourite musician is Gainsbourg... but I said this a couple of times before...

There are few spanish fave songs for me, and I guess nobody would know them except XXX... maybe we could discuss this one day, Juan...

Teresa, that´s one of my fave songs ever!! It´s written by Serge Gainsbourg (the french lyrics...)and I would suggest Gainsbourg should have la Légion d´Honneur posthumous. I don´t know who sang it in English, it´s "It hurts to say goodbye" and its credited Gold/Goland.

Are you French, btw? (I am...) It´s strange to find people in Spain to know the words...just as strange as to be talking in English with a Spanish girl!

Edna, it is sort of funny, ain't it: you from France and living in Spain and me from Spain and living in Spain again after years abroad, chatting in English about music. French artists have always been very famous in Spain, you know. I remember Françoise Hardy was on the cover of every magazine when I was a kid, she was sooo glamourous and beautiful, and her songs were wonderful. I also loved Michel Polnareff and his "Ame Caline". Jeez, how long ago was that?!

Oh, mon Dieu, c´est pas vrai, Michel Polnareff!!!!!!! JE RAFFOLLE DE POLNAREFF!!!!

Oh, sorry, I couldn´t help it... I have all Polnareff stuff since 1965... That´s another genius... Gainsbourg and Polna, both russian... I also like Cpadevielle, Brassens of course, I can´t stand Jacques Brel though he´s another genius but he´s depressing... and Juliette Gréco, she´s awesome... well, we´d need a whole lifetime to talk about french music...

Edna, seems like I've stirred up memories ::.

Do you remember Adamo? Although he was Italian-born and raised in Belgium, I always think of him as French.

You will not believe this, but last summer at a birthday party, my hubby got out his guitar and we started singing all these popular songs from the 60's and 70's and after we had finished our repertoire and didn't know what else to sing, he started playing "Aline". I thought nobody would know it - WRONG. EVERYBODY, all 14 of us, knew the song and some even knew all the lyrics from beginning to end! :thumbsup:

Well euhm 'malice mizer - beast of blood' English(well it's another language for me ::) mixed with Japanese,(gothic?)Metal. Love it :bow: and beside that... euhm , Kyo - je cours. A french pop song, that sticks in your head for a while. O and don't forget T.a.t.u. - ne ver, ne bojsia...don't ask why, but it makes me happy. O and a band you english talking guys must listen: K3. (you will know why :P :laughing: :jester: roflol) I'm sure you'll love it! o before I forget: Matthias Reim - Verdammt ich lieb dich. Also a very good song :shades:

Edna, seems like I've stirred up memories ::.

Do you remember Adamo? Although he was Italian-born and raised in Belgium, I always think of him as French.

You will not believe this, but last summer at a birthday party, my hubby got out his guitar and we started singing all these popular songs from the 60's and 70's and after we had finished our repertoire and didn't know what else to sing, he started playing "Aline". I thought nobody would know it - WRONG. EVERYBODY, all 14 of us, knew the song and some even knew all the lyrics from beginning to end! :thumbsup:

I like some Adamo songs, sure, and I always liked his accent, he´s funny... "Tombe la neige" and "La Nuit" are the most famous. But it´s not strange that everybody knew Aline, it´s a very popular song... even my husband who doesn´t speak french knows it...It´s like "Capri, c´est fini", another universal hit... back to Cristophe, he had other very beautifull songs and he made a comeback some ten years ago. I will take all the Brassens vynils from my parent´s home as my sister has everything on cd... I have a good friend in France who sends me MP3 discs with lots of french music from all times. He sent me la Dutronc.Totale, as the Boris Vian album which I lost maybe 20 years ago.

I was also a fan of Sacha Distel when I was a kid, he was so handsome... and his father and my grandfather were very close. Michel Berger too was a very good musician, I like the songs he did for his two women, Véronique Sanson and France Gall.

I like some Adamo songs, sure, and I always liked his accent, he´s funny... "Tombe la neige" and "La Nuit" are the most famous. But it´s not strange that everybody knew Aline, it´s a very popular song... even my husband who doesn´t speak french knows it...It´s like "Capri, c´est fini", another universal hit... back to Cristophe, he had other very beautifull songs and he made a comeback some ten years ago. I will take all the Brassens vynils from my parent´s home as my sister has everything on cd... I have a good friend in France who sends me MP3 discs with lots of french music from all times. He sent me la Dutronc.Totale, as the Boris Vian album which I lost maybe 20 years ago.

I was also a fan of Sacha Distel when I was a kid, he was so handsome... and his father and my grandfather were very close. Michel Berger too was a very good musician, I like the songs he did for his two women, Véronique Sanson and France Gall.

JACQUES DUTRONC and SACHA DISTEL! Were they good-looking or what!? I used to cut their pictures out from music magazines (my brother used to buy "Salut le Copains" whenever he found it) and pin them on my cork board! :: ::