Grammy Thoughts - 2014

Carl

If you saw the Grammy Awards, please post your thoughts. Here are some of mine:

- There were three jovial performances of very sad songs. This bugged me a bit, since it means the singers have no connection to the song - they're just up there for show. These were:

1) Nate and Pink laughing their way through "Just Give Me A Reason." Pink can do anything she wants after that aerial display, however.

2) Ringo turning "Photograph" into a cheery nostalgia piece. Wouldn't "When We Were Fab" have been more appropriate?

3) Metallica hamming it up with their guest pianist (who was great) on "One." Not sure how you can laugh after singing "Landmine, has taken my sight, taken by speech, taken by hearing."

- They usually make Stevie Wonder play "Superstition" at these things, but he got to play "Another Star" in his guest spot with big winners Daft Punk. It wasn't a hit, but it's one of his best songs and the one that worked best with the groove.

- Paul Williams is the man. The robots from Daft Punk don't speak, so they let him talk when they won for Best Album (he sang and wrote the lyrics for the songs "Beyond" and "Touch"). Here's what he said:

"Back when I was drinking and using I was imagining things that weren't there that were frightening. Then I got sober and two robots asked me to make an album."

The guy is great with words and willing to share them. He gave us a fantastic interview years ago, and was quite gracious when I met him in person later. Someone whose continued success is truly deserved.

Ringo has been turning "Photograph" into a cheesy nostalgia piece for years. Though it was really sweet when he did it at the concert for George.

Metallica was godawful. Now we know why Metallica never had a piano player. Plus, James Hetfield looks like the guy from Rascal Flatts now.

Daft Punk was awesome, I love them so much. And NIN/QOTSA/Dave Grohl was pretty awesome too.