BOTM: Band of the Moment

TheCyberdemon

What are industrial bands?

Industrial is just another name for Futurist. That's a musical movement which began early in the 20th century with the Italians. Their philosophy was to create music from machinery and other things to show man's technological advances. Since there was a lot of turmoil in the early to mid 20th century, there wasn't much progression in that area of music. The 50s and 60s had some of the most venturous feats in that form of music. I can't name any musician off the top of my head, but their compositions involved the sounds of airplane engines, car crashes, cogs squeaking, engines droning, etc. This is how instruments like the theremin came to being made: A machine that came from the idea of sound waves that come from utensils - like a saw; this was then made into a full fledged instrument. Still, it took about one more decade, in the late 60s, to see any real progress being made in this genre with bands like Kraftwerk, Neu! and Robert Fripp and Brian Eno. These guys pretty much paved the way for all the synthesized music that came in the 70s, the New Wave and New Romantic music of the 80s, the Techno and Dance music of the 90s, and the Electronica stuff that's being cranked out nowadays. The term "Industrial" came directly from the band Throbbing Gristle. They were the ones who recorded under their own label, Industrial. They are perhaps the most renown after the aforementioned in the field. They're a combination of Futurist and Situationist philosophy - Art saboteurs. Forget NIN, since he only came out with one album worth listening to and Marilyn Manson has nothing on the genre since he relies mainly on circus-geek antics. If you wanna know what Industrial music is all about, try these ubersuperior bands instead:

Neu!

Throbbing Gristle/Psychic TV/Genesis P. Orridge

Cabaret Voltaire (these guys are my personal faves)

Suicide

Einsturzende Neubauten

DAF

The Legendary Pink Dots

Don't accept any substitutes ::

..and which album is that?

Pretty Hate Machine. Then it all does go in a downward spiral of quality from there. Pretty boring stuff soon after Downward Spiral...

I own all of them & they're all worth the listen. His pioneering techniques never get old & he's very talented.

If Industrial music is what I was looking to listen to, NIN wouldn't even make the list; he didn't break any new ground in the genre with his technique - he popularized it. After listening to Current 93, NON, Neubauten, Coil, and Cabaret Voltaire, I wouldn't think back to NIN for anything other than recordings that sounded fun, but pioneered nothing. Bands that came out with albums at the same time as NIN were KMFDM and Ministry - now those two have more than one worthwhile albums. Their brilliance definitely shows in their first efforts, although with Ministry they changed their entire sound once they recorded Psalm 69 (after that, though, they sucked).

After listening to Current 93, NON, Neubauten, Coil, and Cabaret Voltaire, I wouldn't think back to NIN for anything other than recordings that sounded fun, but pioneered nothing. Bands that came out with albums at the same time as NIN were KMFDM and Ministry - now those two have more than one worthwhile albums. Their brilliance definitely shows in their first efforts, although with Ministry they changed their entire sound once they recorded Psalm 69 (after that, though, they sucked).

I agree about KMFDM & Ministry having more than one good album & were instigating artists. Ministry was the one who had been recognized as the most popular industrial band before NIN hit it big. I've listened to many of their earlier albums, such as Everyday is Halloween, & they sound like they were engineered just right, but only on those terms. Psalm 69 is their best album, & they haven?t lived up to it since then. There are other bands that originated the genre & haven?t received any recognition over it, such as a few of the ones you listed in the previous post. Props for mentioning Cabaret Voltaire, they have a few good albums, including Mixup & 2x45, and have been mentioned as the main influence by many other industrial & electronic bands.

I gotta craving for ol skool KMFDM. "What do YOU know, Deutschland!?!? :rockon: :rockon:

That's a good one! I like "Un-Restrained use of Excessive Force, I think it's the last one on there. UAIOE & their debut demo Opium which came out before they signed onto WaxTrax!are also good, but that's hard as hell to find.

Btw, Skinny Puppy is touring around these areas, but... didn't the lead singer die a while ago or somethin'?

Not that I know of, the keyboardist died of a drug overdose around a decade ago, which caused them to break up, did they get back together?

The Band...but now I'm listening to Nirvana-In Utero! Borrowed it from a friend. Soon to be bought. VERY good

I Told you it kicked a##, now do you believe me! ::

Anyway, yes I have been a R.E.M. junkie for a long time CD, it's just that with the new album coming out I've got R.E.M. goin' pretty much 24/7 (with some Radiohead breaks and some other stuff here and there) to calm my R.E.M. urges.