Springsteen Turns "Born To Run" Into "Traffic Jam"

Carl

Bruce Springsteen appeared on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon to perform a new version of "Born To Run" titled "Gov. Christie Traffic Jam." Selected lyrics:

"Sprung from cages on Highway 9, we got three lanes closed, so Jersey get your ass in line."

"You've got Wall Street masters stuck cheek-to-cheek with blue collar truckers, and man, I really gotta take a leak but I can't. I'm stuck in Gov. Chris Christie's Fort Lee, N.J. traffic jam."

This is, of course, in reference to the bridge scandal where Christie's staff shut down lanes of traffic in Fort Lee because the mayor of that city didn't endorse the governor.

Springsteen - an avowed Democrat - has had a tepid relationship with Christie, who has often expressed his fandom. The two came together at a benefit for victims of Hurricane Sandy last year, but Springsteen has spoken out against Christie's budget and has avoided the governor for the most part.

The bit is really funny, but Springsteen does seem to be kicking a man when he's down (he also has an album to promote). Not that I have much sympathy for a man complicit in creating a traffic jam, but at this point it might be best to back off and see how he makes amends.

Here's the video: