I Knew I Was Old When...

Carl

I felt old for the first time a couple of years ago. I work in a place with some 50 people, young people as well. There's only two guys who know CCR. Most of them couldn't answer my question: "Do you know who is George Harrison?"

For the rest, I'm still young... :cool: I've been only 58 in December.

I may have mentioned this already somewhere, but not too long ago my kid said to me, "Mom, your kind of music has different words. The stuff (hip-hop, rap) that I listen to repeats the same thing over and over."

Yeah, kid. And they sample all the stuff I grew up with. :crazy:

I had to explain to a kid that "Major Tom" did not originate in a song from that car commercial. It's a harsh reality that anyone under age 25 has probably not heard "Space Oddity."

Correction: Anyone under 25 who has little to no interest in music/pop culture has probably not heard Space Oddity, but their opinion on music is fairly irrelevant because of their lack of interest.

This Christmas I was showing my youngest daughter and her boyfriend a collector's cup from Hallmark that I received from a friend. They have the words of "Lennon and McCartney" on them. Pretty cool gift...each cup has lyrics from their songs...Sooooo daughter's boyfriend says "Hmmm Lennon and McCartney? I know what band they are from, give me a minute"...and I'm like "OMG are you serious?" Me thinking he was just being sarcastic, daughter says "yes Mom, I think he's serious"... :doh:

My kids are 24, 21 and 20. Not only have they been bombarded by classic rock all of their lives but they truly love it too. My 20 year old daughter loves The Beach Boys, The Four Seasons, The Beatles and more...she knows all the musicians in all the bands.

Over Christmas, my sister's daughter (their cousin) related this story:

My sister was in the car with her and she quizzed my niece about a Beatles song on the radio. My niece got the answer wrong and my sister said "You know Uncle Ron's kids wouldn't get that one wrong."

So it is our job to keep it alive as long as we can with our kids. We may lose the war eventually, but not during my lifetime.

Same with my kids Ron...I have a sister that is 13 years older than me....So I grew up listening to her music...Beatles, Beach Boys, etc....that's how I learned to love the 60's....My kids also would listen to "my music" and they do enjoy some of it....and yes, they would be quizzed constantly. :cool:

I listened to my parents 45's & 78's as well! My brother & I had a little record player that folded up like a suitcase. We'd play all kinds of stuff & then my aunts lent us some "heavier" rock (Sabbath, AC/DC, Kiss, Doors, etc) so we weren't stuck with Juice Newton, Guess Who, Beatles, Elvis and all those pop bands from 60's - 70's.

Yeah, 78's were great! Not just one song per side (unless it was Iron Butterfly! lol)

Likewise! My mum was into Sinatra and some popular music (I remember we had a single by Manfred Mann and another by The Kinks, although I was only 3) and my dad classical and music like Manuel and Mantovani.

I now like many different kinds of music, including those early influences! :sing1:

Right on Ron!! My 16 year old son has about 500 songs on his I-Phone and 85 percent of them are by 60's, 70's and 80's artists. His favourite bands are Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Rush and Dire Straits. Even my 14 year old daughter has a fair number of classic rock songs on her I-Phone along with her One Direction, We The Kings and Ed Sheeran songs.

Rock and roll will never die. :guitar: :rockon:

My daughter says that at the Spring concert at school they are singing Beatles songs. She asked me "Do I have to do a British accent when I sing them, 'cause I can't do one" :laugh:

She doesn't listen to boybands, but she does like "kid" music. Still, she sings along to "Crazy Train" by Ozzy Osbourne, and as a baby she went to bed every night listening to classical music.

Stevie is getting a generational lift thanks to American Horror Story, so she should be OK.

Some of these post are making me think of tracking down an acetate (you know, those floppy records) and turning it into some kind of scavenger hunt.

• 1 year later...

My mother used to say that if she recognized a song/tune, it was "as old as the hills." These days, I have way too many "over the mountain" songs and artists in my iTunes collection. ("Jim Croce"? Who's that? was the familiar post on a Last.fm "Name an artist you've never heard of" thread.) Over at Pandora radio, I've found that The Jayhawks, Bowling For Soup, and Third Eye Blind sound...interesting.;)

Well, golly gee, you must be 100 years old! (Did they even have electricity back then?)

Likker!? Have some wine, instead...

When I see/fail to recognize who/what's hot at Last.fm, Spotify, or Pandora radio, I hanker for something stronger than Diet Coke.

(Alcohol turns me into a bright, red light, suitable for a warning beacon on the top of buildings.)

Edited by Otokichi
Jack Daniels and Three Dog Night? I don't wanna be where you are tonight...