Names That Have Been Appropriated

Carl

While editing Dan's interview with Lita Ford, I had one of those "I remember when..." moments.

There was a time when the mononym "Lita" referred to Miss Ford, but sometime in the '90s, a WWE superstar became the world's most famous Lita - something that can be proven with a Google search.

"Arrested Development" used to mean a Hip-Hop/Funk outfit, but is now best-known as a TV show.

Perhaps the biggest appropriation is Madonna, who somehow stole the title from the Virgin Mary.

What are some other names that have been similarly appropriated?

Steely Dan is better known than a dildo in the novel Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs.

Talking Heads is better known than the term used to describe a person talking as all content and no action.

E Street Band is better known than the E Street in New Jersey.

Jethro Tull is better known than the 18th-century agriculturist.

a-ha and the way of expressing positive recognition.

The Rolling Stones are better known than a line in the Muddy Water's song "Mannish Boy".

Ehhm, as a non-native speaker of the English language I'm about to learn something new here.

Let me guess: does it also indicate bisexuality?

I think it's England where AC/DC can mean bisexual.

Although, if you listen to the Beck song "Where It's At", you'll hear an American voice say, "What about those who swing both ways, AC/DC." This was sampled from a 1969 sex education recording, so at one point, it was apparently a real term.

• 2 weeks later...