Lou Reed has died.

pinkstones

A terrible loss. In a weird bit of serendipity, I was editing an interview with Dick Wagner, who played guitar on Rock N' Roll Animals, when I heard the news. This quote from Dick sums it up:

"I loved Lou's songs and I loved Lou, but he's not an easy character to understand."

When I was 11, my Dad took me and Grandma Dorcas to Luray Caverns in Virginia, and while we were there, My Dad claims Grandma Dorcas sang "Walk On The Wild Side" while bumbling the tune on the organ there. It's ironic because the woman couldn't carry a tune in a bucket if she tried, nor could she tell the difference between an instrument that was in tune and one that was out of tune. Even worse, she couldn't keep time with the rhythm of a song, as she was always a few steps behind time or even a few steps ahead of time. To make matters worse, he claims that I, along with my sister Amber and my cousins Andrea and Carolyn sang background vocals with her. My Dad was the biggest fibberooski I've ever met. But you've gotta admit he was a nice guy! My Grandma, on the other hand, wasn't so sweet. Sure, people said she was sweet on the outside, but I knew deep down she was the opposite. When she sang, it was torture! And, the spankings, oh the spankings! Spankings and soap were all she knew when it came to discipline. She was a devout Presbyterian, and she wasn't playing when she said we couldn't say any profanity. She even fooled me into believing that "ain't" is considered profanity. She was a grammarian pedant, which I strongly despise. I made a vow that when I have children and grandchildren, I will never subject them to the horrible monster that is my Grandma.

Edited by Guest

1383405195-lou_reed_and_laurie_anderson.

That's a really touching picture...

To our neighbors:

What a beautiful fall! Everything shimmering and golden and all that incredible soft light. Water surrounding us.

Lou and I have spent a lot of time here in the past few years, and even though we're city people this is our spiritual home.

Last week I promised Lou to get him out of the hospital and come home to Springs. And we made it!

Lou was a tai chi master and spent his last days here being happy and dazzled by the beauty and power and softness of nature. He died on Sunday morning looking at the trees and doing the famous 21 form of tai chi with just his musician hands moving through the air.

Lou was a prince and a fighter and I know his songs of the pain and beauty in the world will fill many people with the incredible joy he felt for life. Long live the beauty that comes down and through and onto all of us.

– Laurie Anderson

his loving wife and eternal friend

Edited by Guest