Albums That Are Perfect From Start To Finish

RockyRaccoon

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I agree with some of it, though a lot of the albums I'm a bit skeptical on (especially the inclusion of a Nickelback album).

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I scrolled through my iTunes collection (600+ albums!!) and picked out 10, one per band/artist. By their own merit, not compared to each other.

The Beatles - With The Beatles (1963)

David Bowie - The Next Day (2013)

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (1965)

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (1970)

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (1971)

Led Zeppelin - IV (1971)

The Lonely Island - The Wack Album (2013)

Charles Mingus - Mingus Plays Piano (1963)

Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence (2014)

KT Tunstall - Invisible Empire // Crescent Moon (2013)

Some interesting things to note from this selection:

It spans 5 decades of music. My music collection goes back to the 20's, but I only really have compilation albums from the 20's-50's.

5 pop/rock albums, 3 jazz albums, 1 soul album & 1 hip-hop album.

"The Wack Album" may seem out of place alongside some of the aforementioned albums, but I personally think that it's hilarious! For me, it is perfect in its comical delivery.

"The Next Day", Bowie's first album in 10 years. When everyone thought that he was finished with 2003's "Reality", he comes out with this classic. Unabashed in its immediately noticeable Bowie-isms, and yet, it sounds so fresh. It's a terribly invigorating listen. "Heat" is my favourite track from the album.

For jazz bass aficionados, "Mingus Plays Piano" is a must. I listened to it for the first time last week and I was immediately captivated. The tonal palettes and textures that he creates are incredible to listen to. He sounds as much at home on the piano as he is on the bass. It gives a fantastic glimpse into how his mind worked, as he is in total control over the music that is brought forth.