Greatest Sober Musicians

Carl

Rock Stars are not social drinkers. Thanks to lifestyle and availability, they usually develop a drug or alcohol problem at some point.

There are a few famous musicians, however, how have never touched the stuff, or touched it once and decided to never do it again.

If we were putting together an All-Star team of the greatest musicians who refused to imbibe, who would be on it? We're not talking about the folks who went to rehab and got clean (Eric Clapton), but the ones who never did it in the first place. Here are two that come to mind:

Gene Simmons

Angus Young

What other always-sober superstars are out there?

^ That was my first thought. “He’s in good shape by not doing drugs. It’s something he doesn’t have to preach about. He’s a living example of what happens when you never do drugs your whole life. I mean, I’m sure he’s taken a drink or two a few times in his life, but he was never a drinker either.” - Steven Van Zandt

On the other hand, Ted Nugent never touched drugs either, and he's completely insane.

"What other always-sober superstars are out there?". Superstar is a criterium that limits the choice to a few dozen.

A well known rock artist that might deserve the "all clean!" label is probably Supertramp's Roger Hodgson, but I cannot find explicit proof for it.

And the first candidate I thought off: Charlie Watts - nope.... Had an addiction crisis in the mid-80s.

Edited by Guest

Alice Cooper never had an issue with drugs, and I think he is actually completely anti drug. I remembered that on the way to work today (does anyone else think of these things at times they can't do anything about it?).

Does Will Smith count as a real musician/artist? Because he has to be just about the most clean cut hip hop artist I could ever think of think of.

First "Superstar" I thought of was Angus Young, but Carl used it as an example. I've also read that Brian May of Queen isn't into drugs & rarely drinks. A "Superstar" straight-edge I thought of is Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins).

Another straight-edge (but not "Superstar" outside Canada) is Bif Naked.

:rockon:

Edited by Guest

Alice Cooper never had an issue with drugs, and I think he is actually completely anti drug. I remembered that on the way to work today (does anyone else think of these things at times they can't do anything about it?).

I'm fairly certain he went to rehab for an alcohol issue in the 80s. He's been outspoken since then and has helped other rockers with their addictions, but only after overcoming his own.