Cory Monteith Dead: 'Glee' Star Dies In Vancouver Hotel Room

cyberjudge

Cory Allan Michael Monteith, a Canadian actor best known for playing Finn Hudson on the hit Fox TV show "Glee," was found dead Saturday in a Vancouver hotel room, The Hollywood Reporter reported.

He was 31.

Monteith's body was discovered at the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel shortly after noon. According to the Vancouver Police Department, he checked into the hotel on July 6 and was due to check out on Saturday. When he failed to do so, the staff went into the room and found him. Paramedics declared him dead on the scene.

The authorities said Monteith was alone at the time of his death, and there appeared to be no foul play. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.

"…On behalf of the Vancouver Police, I want to pass on our condolences to the family, friends, castmates and millions of fans of Mr. Monteith," acting police chief Doug LePard said in a statement. "As was the case in countless homes, I watched 'Glee' regularly with my daughters, and I know there will be shock and sadness in many households with the news of his tragic death."

Born in Calgary, Alberta and raised in Victoria, British Columbia, Monteith was the youngest son of Joe Monteith, who served in the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, and Ann McGregor, an interior decorator. His parents divorced when he was very young, and Monteith struggled to deal with the change in his family life. That struggle led him to attend 16 different schools -- including one for troubled teens -- and abuse drugs and alcohol. To support his habit, he eventually dropped out of school and began stealing.

When Monteith was 19, his family and friends held an intervention. He checked into rehab, got clean and eventually received his high school diploma. He also launched an acting career, playing minor roles in the films "Final Destination 3" and "Deck the Halls," and guest-starring on several TV shows, including "Smallville," "Supernatural" and "Stargate SG-1."

Monteith's big break came in 2009 when he landed the role of Finn Hudson, a football player-turned glee club singing star on the show "Glee." The part earned him a legion of fans known as "Gleeks" and a Teen Choice Award in 2011. The show's cast also won a Screen Actors Guild award for best ensemble in a comedy.

When Monteith wasn't working on the show, he and the cast performed live shows in the U.S., Canada and Europe. In his spare time, he enjoyed hockey, basketball, surfing and playing the drums. He also stars in the upcoming independent film "All the Wrong Reasons."

Monteith returned for another stint of rehab in March, but appeared to be healthy and in good spirits last month.

Adam Shankman, who frequently directed episodes of "Glee," took to Twitter to express his sadness at Monteith's death.

"Goodbye my amazing and beautiful friend. The lights in my world just grew dimmer. The world just lost one of our best. I love u so much..."

Monteith is survived by his parents, older brother Shaun and girlfriend, actress and co-star Lea Michele.

Is it possible he may have committed suicide? I hope not! And I sure hope nobody murdered him! Boy this world is so crazy these days! Everybody seems to be dying young.

Foul play has been ruled out. No other details have been released. I know he has had substance abuse problems in the past, although he had completed rehab. We'll just have to wait for more info.

In Keith Richards' book he says that the addicts who ended up ODing are the ones who got clean and then hopped back on and tried to take as much as they would have at their peak. That's how Keith survived, he never got clean! Anyways, that's probably what happened here.

You OD when you get clean and one day you decide to have a taste... just a taste... and your body isn't used to the dose you used to take.

Anyways, Keith Richards is a sort of exception. He did get clean but then he was hooked on alcohol and pot. You just replace an addiction. But I'm sure he's wise enough not to take heroin again. His liver just wouldn't stand a single dose... (yes, heroin is much worse for liver than even alcohol...)

I believe Amy Winehouse got rehab but then one night she drank again and that was what killed her. You develop a sort of allergic reaction when you're over with some heavy drug you used for years.You mught not OD but it will take a week to recover... not just one night.

Edited by Guest

On Tuesday, July 16, the British Columbia Coroners Service confirmed that Monteith -- who was 31 years old at the time of his passing -- had "died of a mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol."

"There is no evidence to suggest Mr. Monteith's death was anything other than a most-tragic accident," the report stated. "Mr. Monteith's family has been made aware of the circumstances surrounding the death. On behalf of the family members, the BC Coroners Service asks that the media respect their privacy at this difficult time."

Source