Songfacts Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

RockyRaccoon

51SEtF2By72L_SY300__zps3625b807.jpg

5. The Best of Blue Note (1965)

This best of was eye opening in my appreciation of different genre's.

I grew up loving and playing the show tunes and popular music in school.

Along with rock and eventually country rock then bluegrass and down the line fingerpickin' like Norman Blake, Doc Watson and Tony Rice.

Every track is Killer.

Moanin' - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers

Song For My Father - Horace Silver

Blues Walk Lou Donalson

The Sindwinder - Lee Morgan

:bow:

• 4 weeks later...

Mindcrime.jpg

Operation: Mindcrime - Queensrÿche

WARNING: boring read! This blog is my own work, written 10 years ago. I will edit down and shorten the storyline to make it presentable.

This is my personal intelligibly written thesis on this concept album’s statement and principles. My analysis is based and modified on my perception of the album’s concept, regarding the theoretical beliefs and purposes used behind its approach. I find the main protagonist of the plot and his characteristics and though process to relate to my own individuality, especially if confronted in the situation involving risk for survival.

When I originally bought this album, after reading an article about it in a metal magazine, I was uncertain of its storyline and to what extent the targeted purpose was. Since then I’ve studied, examined, comprehended, evaluated, & reviewed its entire concept. To this day, I still find myself disorientated by unexplained questions with the illegitimate portions that lie beneath the main plot’s surface.

“Mindcrime” focuses on an entire sequence that took on the state of mentality through 5 extensively arranged complexes in dealing with society’s contemporary issues.

Enter our fellow hero Nikki, an appointed colleague assassin, who’s expressive with his adapted knowledge, despite his idealistic self-indulgence & neurotic experiences. The opening portrays him being stabilized by a shielded psychiatric ward, reflecting in his more or less paranormal behavior. It then reveals him evoking his recent trial incidents, before the narrator opens the preliminary issue of legal corruption through the Republican Party & the commercialization behind the political revolution, mostly relevant to the Reagan-era in the White House, & his segregation with our aligned forces throughout the unwaged crisis throughout the early 80’s. The narrative desires an improved proximity while holding the American threshold responsible.

The plot then begins to focus on the legislated apprehension of clinical studies & proposed psychiatric treatments in regards with undetermined adolescents, giving them an illicit exchange of their time for penalty. Known as ‘Operation: Mindcrime’, this involves Nikki’s encounter with one Dr. X. He’s been mesmerized & then invoked on a mission to set forth & eliminate certain religious & legislative figures, based on their differences in views for freedom, as it’s presented that justice has come to terms with equality for prosperity, while neglecting poverty all together. He’s confronted with subconscious-ness through his dependency & conducted experiments by Dr. X. Nikki now has a message to send forth to society, he begins to lecture his deceived philosophy to crowds of dejected civilians. He implores people to assist him in his massive cerebral-ness for annihilation, but must face this degraded coalition alone.

At this point, the premise starts to thicken and mysteriously unfold with the arrival of Mary, formerly an adolescent whore from Time Square. The highly respected & prestigious, yet cautiously litigious Father William, who has promised her salvation, has taken her under his wing. Instead of the pledged chastity she was expecting, the Priest captivated Mary into her customary lewd conduct. ‘Spreading the Disease’ corresponds with the topic of infidelity of the church, mostly involving confrontations with promiscuous nuns, as well as evangelist corruption & lucrative tasks, which was informed in the earlier chapter, composing of a few verses, despite the implication of this vision invoking on different such matters.

The Holy Father introduced Mary to Dr. X at the age of maturity. She instigates his services & requirements; he persuades her into seducing Nikki, who has turned morbid by relying on the church to assert him of his homicidal sins. This is the part of the storyline that I find particularly elusive; He orders Nikki to murder her in fear that she knows too much about his operation. After Nikki has set onward to the church, Mary finally meets her colleague & immediately falls in love with him, he’s now declined to propose his mission, regardless of his compelling appointment, which is described all throughout the middle section of the investigation. While this portion of the album (The Mission through Suite Sister Mary) envisions the most vivid image of the set, it still leaves the tactical focus obscured.

After uniting together in pre-matrimony, they decide to escape from Dr. X’s immoral master plan, & set off to exchange vows & live freely together. He declares to murder Dr. X in as an indication of retribution, for the arrangement to demise Mary. He directly travels to Dr. X’s furtive lair, to abandon his tasks & relinquishes himself from any more harm, only to contradict himself with his profound tranquilized dependency. A variably insignificant suggestion of medicinal neglect is explained here. Following the storyline, I have assumed that it be mescaline related, other sources have pointed it to be heroin induced, as told in the ninth track ‘The Needle Lies’

Her years of neglect & abuse have isolated her completely from contemplation; she began to develop diverse emotions towards him. Mary despised his utilization with drugs, as well as the fact that she was apprehensive towards his slaying of Father William, whom she had an unbreakable trust & bond with, when she found his corpse laid still in the church’s sanctuary. Her compassion for Nikki still survived the devoted crimes he committed, as she was dependent on his love.

This is the second part of the story that I don’t quite understand, and as your question asks ‘Who or What killed Mary’’ From what I have comprehended based on the commencing lyrics to ‘Electric Requiem’ he finds her at the Alter where they used to make passionate love, with a rosary wrapped around her slit throat. There are three possible suspects, Nikki, Dr. X, or suicide. Nikki can be excluded, as he is distraught by the circumstances. This leaves the other two as probabilities. Dr. X is more liable of the two, as the haunting tone echoes: ‘Even in death you still look sad’ as if he’s observing while unseen.

Nikki then sets out into the streets in a frantic matter, while shouting ‘Mary! Mary!’ He progresses a severe case of psychosis-syndrome influenced by Mary’s death. Unable to find justification, he renounces love entirely, as he no longer believes. He’s left to drown in a puddle filled with sorrow & remorse that he reflects for his previous companion, while inquiring for balance in his own prospect. The vicinity of this conclusion adversely engages in the deals of fatal structure, at the same time as elude from mourning & regret.

Finally, the story is wrapped up, as it sets back to the very beginning where Nikki was secluded at the hospital before retracing what occurred. While summoning the events that provoked his lunacy, he looks at his own reflection in the truthful mirror, starring into the eyes of a stranger; he doesn’t recognize himself anymore. He’s trivialized by the entire episode, grieving for himself, trying to make amends to relieve the situation. The closing recalls passages from the preceding highlights throughout the album.

My notion is that this is the most adequate concept album, literary wise. While a good deal of this story is based on the predicted concerns of George Orwell’s legendary book ‘1984’, it is innovative in its own right. It was once ruled that concept albums don’t work in metal, this album not only confirmed that it is in fact possible, it went above & beyond. Operation: Mindcrime’s assertion embarks upon on nearly every subject that plagues mankind. The adaptation of the audio-novel is somewhat confusing as it doesn’t entirely retrace the steps behind its main character or condition, giving it a 3rd person perspective that informs of the establishing point to the predicament & leaves the listener to predict the aftermath. Despite its challenging assembly by legendary producer Peter Collins (Rush, Alice Cooper), the entire thought seemed to go unnoticed in America. Critics & Fans alike didn’t feel the modern phase was the acceptable premise for politics & religious convictions in glam rock. Geoff Tate’s attested 6-octave vocalized lyrics & the brilliance behind the guitars, as well as percussion, construct this material as unsurpassed talent in comparison to anything else released throughout this particular era.

Highlights: "I Don't Believe In Love", "Eyes of a Stranger", "Suite Sister Mary".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

YqFexn6.jpg

Wolfmother - Wolfmother

Track listing:

1. Colossal

2. Woman

3. White Unicorn

4. Pyramid

5. Mind's Eye

6. Joker & The Thief

7. Dimension

8. Where Eagles Have Been

9. Apple Tree

10. Tales From The Forest Of Gnomes

11. Witchcraft

12. Vagabond

Back when I was first discovering music on my own, I initially got into classic rock. Actually, oddly enough, the band that introduced me to classic rock was Styx, but that's a different story. From that point, my reference for music was my dad typically, and I would ask him for suggestions of bands to check out. Ultimately I fell in love with classic rock and I was continuously going to other people (mostly my dad) for band suggestions.

Then, iTunes had a free download of the week that I decided to try out. That free song was "Dimension" by Wolfmother, off of this album. I was crazy about this song, and immediately went out and bought this album as soon as I could. I played it over and over again, I know the words to virtually every song on this album and, when I was first learning guitar, I learned virtually every guitar note on this album. I loved the connection this album had to classic rock, it emulated it without ripping it off, it sounded incredible. This was the first album and the first band I got into on my own. I had found these guys, no one showed them to me, I found them, they were mine in a way. Because of that, I developed a very personal connection to Wolfmother. Sadly, after this album, Wolfmother broke up for the most part. Lead singer Andrew Stockdale released one more album under the same name with a whole new band and then he released a solo album (which is basically what the second Wolfmother album was anyways). They've been good albums, but nothing has matched the amazing sound of this album, and thus, this album has always been very special to me.

Highlights: "Woman", "Vagabond", "Dimension", "Where Eagles Have Been", you pick, there isn't a bad song on the album.

DNPRYxu.jpg

Emotionalism - The Avett Brothers

Track listing:

1. Die, Die, Die

2. Shame

3. Paranoia In B-Flat Major

4. The Weight Of Lies

5. Will You Return?

6. The Ballad Of Love And Hate

7. Salina

8. Pretty Girl From Chile

9. All My Mistakes

10. Living Of Love

11. I Would Be Sad

12. Pretty Girl From San Diego

13. Go To Sleep

14. Hand-Me-Down Tune

The Avett Brothers have evolved into one of my absolute favorite bands and this was the album that introduced me to them. I discovered this album my freshman year of college when I was a DJ for the school's radio station. The station operated mostly on indie music and, at the time, the indie-folk music trend hadn't exploded yet (Mumford & Sons were just starting out), so The Avett Brothers weren't as well known as they are now. I just happened to pop this album in the rotation and I heard "Die, Die, Die" and loved it. Since then, I've come back to this album a million times, I love it. It has some of the best songwriting I have ever heard on an album. "The Ballad Of Love And Hate" is incredible storytelling, "The Weight Of Lies" and "Shame" are two of the most brutally, beautifully honest songs I've heard, this album just has so much to love. There's beauty and there's fun and it all blends together to make one of the best albums I've ever heard. This is my go to album in virtually any mood, happy or sad, this is the album I go to.

Highlights: "Shame", "The Weight Of Lies", "The Ballad Of Love And Hate", "Paranoia In B-Flat Major", "Die, Die, Die".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I remember when J Geils Band would sellout Cobo arena in Detroit for 3 nights in a row.

I seen the the first show on Friday,I remember I took the day off work...I took this neat blonde babe who was unsure of the JGB...

...as expected,they blew the roof off,did 2 encores....a memorable night indeed.

• 8 months later...
  • Carl unpinned this topic