A Songfactor's Musical Ride

Ken

9 Days on the road, 8700kms, at times, 140 degree heat. Absolutely wonderful.

I've been bad

zike10.jpg

I've been good

bey4pd.jpg

Dallas, Texas

8wjotf.jpg

Hollywood

22mgps.jpg

Spent some time Standin' on a corner, in Winslow, Arizona

vyl3qc.jpg

I'm told a band called the Doors used to be the house band here

rmlbmd.jpg

Found myself out in the West, Texas town of El Paso

jpc4xx.jpg

Where I fell in love with a Mexican girl. Night time would find me in

2rglw5v.jpg

Marty Robbins' song mentions the back door of Rosa's Cantina.

fk8781.jpg

There isn't one.

It also mentions that the gunfighter that he is on the hill overlooking El Paso, he can see Rosa's Cantina below.

2vcw404.jpg

There is one.

I found myself on this ride.

2wn2sfb.jpg

Found myself just about a mile from Texarkana, but my GPS told me the Louisiana border was almost 30 miles away.

fktyc9.jpg

Went to see some friends on Beale Street

2le2uef.jpg

And paid my respects to a couple of Kings.

2livcz8.jpg

beu9hv.jpg

I found a place where there was a church house gin house, a little school house out house. On the U.S. 19

flela1.jpg

Hey, the people keep the city clean. They call it Nutbush

5yvvyw.jpg

Ah, Nutbush. Nutbush City. Nutbush City limits. 25 is the speed limit, motorcycles not allowed in it. (Speed limit has been raised to 30 and the cops never hassled me about my Harley.)

33k53sy.jpg

I've been on Highway 66, the Blues Highway, the highway to Hell, but up until then, I'd never been on this one

9uvm9s.jpg

They tell me this is the Church Miss Tina used to sing at

rli611.jpg

I wound up travelling some of the back field roads I'm sure Tina would have walked

iyemn8.jpg

Went over a bump on the uneven road, and it was the first time during the entire trip I heard the little bell my family had given me to keep me safe, tinkle.

5zpcwi.jpg

I took that as a sign that it was time to leave. Told the GPS to take me home

2z4a1s6.jpg

9 days, some sketchy motels, a newfound dislike for Tom Bodett (Wake up call: This is Tom Bodett. The moon is down, the sun is up, and you should be too. This is your wake up call. Hey Tommy? It's 4:30AM. The G.D. moon is still full.)

Until next time....

2r6fa7c.jpg

Looks like a wonderful tour. One day when the kids are grown up and if I still have my faculties I'd love to do something similar. Music and gastronomy would do it...

Gotta watch those back roads of Essex - loud Vauxhall Novas and dogging wherever you park!!!

Looks like a wonderful tour. One day when the kids are grown up and if I still have my faculties I'd love to do something similar. Music and gastronomy would do it...

Gotta watch those back roads of Essex - loud Vauxhall Novas and dogging wherever you park!!!

If you say so, Diggsy! If you say so! ;);););)

Only some of the roads were evocative. Death Valley was...... Hot, eerie, at times terrifying, at times stunning. I had a big truck 15 to 7 feet behind me for 60 miles or better. At first I was amused, thinking of Spielberg's "Duel". 20 minutes of that and it becomes somewhat less amusing. *Zero* traffic out there. 2 lanes, the guy could have passed whenever he liked. 75MPH, and a truck grille in your sideview mirror. I was glad after 45 minutes or so when he went past.

Death Valley, front of the bike looking back..

as1zb.jpg

Back looking front

8xo390.jpg

And one from the side

3013vhe.jpg

Shut the bike off to have a bottle of water (it was 125+ out there.) Halfway through the bottle and the creepy thought, "What if the damn thing doesn't start again?" creeps in. Fun. But it did.

I was surprised in Texas to see that this was all there was to the border between Mexico and the U.S.

fnbi0z.jpg

Texas was total culture shock. Going into a McDonalds for breakfast and they are walking around with white Stetsons, cowboy boots, and a cannon strapped to their hips. They're walking past me with ginormous Colts, Glocks, Smith and Wessons, and there is the children's ball-crawl pit right there. 3 feet from my Egg McMuffin is something that could put a hole in me the size of a shoebox.

And I found Jesus in Texas. He's even got a phone number....

n5fmsk.jpg As much as I kid about the Yosemite Sams with the guns, they were truly pleasant people...

Cool as all get out!

I thought the same thing sitting in the parking lot of a Denny's after breakfast just outside Abilene when, in the grip of a bad idea, I sang out "The stars at NIGHT, are big and BRIGHT!"

(pause) (then from the lot in the back around the corner) clapclapclapclap "Deep in the heeeeart, of Texaaaaas". I laughed almost all the way to the Arkansas border.

Beale Street looks a little disappointing, but Nutbush is just how I imagined it.

When I finally made it to that corner in Winslow Arizona, it was nightfall, and I had to move on, so no visual evidence. You planned that one much better than I did.

If you do it again, come through Connecticut - we'll see if that church where The Five Satins recorded "In The Still Of The Nite" is still standing. :afro:

Texas was total culture shock. Going into a McDonalds for breakfast and they are walking around with white Stetsons, cowboy boots, and a cannon strapped to their hips. They're walking past me with ginormous Colts, Glocks, Smith and Wessons, and there is the children's ball-crawl pit right there. 3 feet from my Egg McMuffin is something that could put a hole in me the size of a shoebox. As much as I kid about the Yosemite Sams with the guns, they were truly pleasant people...

Not to mention... thanks to all the armed citizens in Texas...

911 operators in the Lone Star State get more rest there than anywhere in America Ken...

e1doau.jpg