The Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #335 Special (Ladies Only)

Dedicated to our friend Lea, who recently passed away.

av-56985-1294456943.gif

A SPECIAL TRIBUTE TO LEA (WRITTEN BY SHAWNA)

I never met her, but Carole, Sue, Edna, Laurie, Lea and I had, for several years, our own little Private Topic thread where we exchanged our life stories and told each other our troubles, just like in real life, though we never actually met each other.

From that, though, I know she was an incredibly thoughtful person, loved her daughter beyond everything, she was a “hippie” who nurtured wildlife and domestic life equally, always troubling to care for the sick and injured. She was sensitive, sweet, and one of the most selfless individuals I've ever run across.

I know she was in love with Greg Lake of ELP, which is ironic, because Carl interviewed Greg and got the interview posted just a few days before Lea died. I don't know if she was able to see it, I hope so. She loved candles and that was her spiritualism, she'd always light a candle for someone in trouble.

She never wanted any of us to know exactly how much pain she was in or how bad it was for her, and always told us she was doing "okay," even though that wasn't the case. Again, looking out for the other guy's thoughts and feeling above and beyond her own - she didn't want us to worry.

And she looked forward to tomorrow, because it was going to be a better and brighter day than today……….

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the...

Femaletitlecard_zpsa3c18754.png

#335 Special: Songs by Female Singers (Solo and Groups)

ALL MEMBERS OF SONGFACTS ARE MOST WELCOME TO PARTICIPATE. The greater the participation, the more diverse, and more representative our top ten list is.

We'd like to invite everyone to help us select THE SONGFACTORS' CHOICE TOP TEN!

IT'S SIMPLE, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS:

* Nominate up to three songs that haven't made the Ten before.

*For this special, only female artists or groups who've had less than 3 songs already in the Ten are eligible.

No duets with male singers either.

Multiple nominations of the same artist by other people are permitted for this Special, but each person's nominated songs must be by 3 different artists.

Click here to view Every Song That's Made The Songfactors' Choice Top Tens (Artists).

... And here to view Every Song That's made The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten (Songs)

* Here's some of the artists and groups who are non-acceptable as they have 3 or more songs already in. I'm sure there are others.:

Adele

Bangles

Pat Benatar

Aretha Franklin

Etta James

Janis Joplin

Carole King

Melanie

Joni Mitchell

Stevie Nicks

Laura Nyro

Bonnie Raitt

Linda Ronstadt

Diana Ross & the Supremes

Shangri-Las

Shirelles

Dusty Springfield

Donna Summer

Dionne Warwick

Amy Winehouse

When nominations close, choose your favorite Ten songs in order of preference from the Final Nominations and post them here. Points are allotted, 10 for your #1 song, 9 for #2, Etc. and our Top Ten is compiled from them. At the end of the voting period we'll announce The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten For that week.

Thank you to CyberJudge for suggesting this theme, to Shawna for writing the opening statement and to Old 55 for helping with the guidelines post.

Nominatenow.png

:headphones:

Just for the record... are songs that feature a male singing part eligible? I'm not sure what the general ruling on that should be.

We did talk about this in a PT. My suggestion was - no male 'featured' singers', no duets with males, no male singers in a Group. Backup male singers are certainly OK.

Are there some that don't meet those requirements ??? I haven't listened to any yet. Better make a ruling if there are Kenne, so people can renominate if necessary. :P

I used to make many wise and popular decisions like this. And don't forget - you can't please everyone. That's why we get paid the Big Bucks. :smirk:

Just for the record... are songs that feature a male singing part eligible? I'm not sure what the general ruling on that should be.

My opinion, though it wasn't asked for, would be primary vocals by only the female singer - that is how my Joan Jett nomination is listed at allmusic.com. - primary vocals, Joan Jett, and no other individual listing for vocals. I checked it out before nominating.

You're almost always going to have band members that are male, and possibly backup vocals. But I agree with Darryl, no duets, no featured male artist vocals, etc.

EDIT: Heads up, changed 1 nomination. Emmylou Harris switched out for ZZ Ward

Edited by Guest
heads up, nomination change