US and UK Songs that flopped at Home but HIT in Other Countries

OLD 55

Great research Ray. :coolio: It's not an error - it's an era. :jester:

AC/DC are a little outside my 'comfort' time zone.

I'm more at home with 50s and 60s; raising 5 kids in the 70s/80s and making a living didn't give us a lot of time or money to buy records, except for those K-Tel 'Greatest Hits' albums and tapes!

:headphones:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We couldn't afford anything like that either. Although through 40 years I've never had children to look after, perhaps that gives me an edge on looking back at the wonderful music I wasn't a part of. Soul, blues, swing & jazz come to mind. I had the time to keep up with current music trends as well (steering clear of rap, boy bands and techno-dance!) :doh:

I really do wish I was born 15 - 30 yrs earlier. Todays music is just not really original to my ears. Every song is beginning to sound alike. When there appears a unique sound it invariably shows itself as a re-make of a classic. You're lucky to have experienced some of those wonderful songs as they rung through the speakers of the radio for the first time! :bow: :elvis:

Yeah, it occurred to me after I'd posted that Auzzie's probably didn't get much in the way of motown & southern blues, etc. As even Canucks didn't hear every American band. Vice-versa as well, which is the case in Australia as well I presume. Even today there are musicians who can't seem to "cross-over" and only have a following in their own country. Which makes SF so great: different musical tastes from around the world sharing these unknown sounds!

:thumbsup:

Thanks for contributing and Happy Belated Birthday for last Saturday. :)

Yes, I couldn't find any Hits for either of those in the UK Charts, and both songs were new to me, although I did know 'Your Love' when I heard it. The Outfield had 8 US Hot 100 hits, that being their only Top 10. Ian Gomm's 'Hold On' is a very pleasant song also.

Why not join the Songfactors' Choice Top Ten ? Those would be two great nominations ! There should be a new one (#402) starting soon. If you'd like to know more about it you could contact Kenne (Wyld Card) or any one who's participated in #401. I think you'd enjoy it.

Your Love - The Outfield (1986) U.S. #6

outfield.jpg

Hold On - Ian Gomm (1979) U.S. #18

iangomm.jpg

ARTISTS/GROUPS FEATURED SO FAR....

U.S.

BEACH BOYS

Bobbie GENTRY

Bill HALEY

Bill JUSTIS

Vicki LAWRENCE

Roy ORBISON

Gene PITNEY

Johnnie RAY

Susan RAYE

Carole Bayer SAGER

Boz SCAGGS

Del SHANNON

Elvis PRESLEY

Bobby VEE

U.K.

BEATLES

FISCHER Z

Ian GOMM

LULU

OUTSIDERS

Edna also put forward a Jimmy Cliff song, but I don't have access to any Jamaican Charts unfortunately.

Many thanks for your very good wishes, how did you know it was my birthday? Anyway, I have a few more to add to the list of British acts to fail in the UK but be successful in the Hot 100.Ian Whitcomb who came from Woking had 3 hits including one top tenner 'You Turn Me On'. Derek a pseudonym for Scottish singer Johnny Cymbal scored with 'Cinnamon' although he did have one UK hit with 'Mr Bass Man' under the JC moniker. There are also a couple of rock groups worth mentioning namely Fancy with 2 hits and Foghat with 10.Robbie Patton, Giant Steps and The Escape Club were all later but all British as far as I know and all had Billboard hits. I knew I'd get a few more just needed to get on the case.

English singer/songwriter Ian Whitcomb and Irish band Alpine Seven formed 'Ian Whitcomb And Bluesville' in 1964. They had a US #8 with 'You Turn Me On (Turn On Song) in 1965. I can't see any evidence that the song was released as a single in the UK. :P

UK Pop Rock Group Fancy didn't chart at home but had 2 US Top 20 hits in 1974, Wild Thing (#11 in Australia), and 'Touch Me'. Again, I can't see that they were released as UK singles at that time.

Foghat had one US Top 20 Hit with 'Slow Ride' in 1975/6. 'I Just Want To Make Love To You' was their best known song in Australia.

Robbie Patton didn't have a US Top 20, Giant Steps had a US #13 with 'Another Lover' in 1988 and The Escape Club had a US #1 (Australia #3) with Wild, Wild West' also in 1988.

This thread is primarily for

songs before 1980 (being in the OLDIES section) - but we don't mind stretching that a little :)

and were released as singles in their Home Country, but failed to reach its Top 40 , but verifiably made the TOP TEN in another country.

I'd certainly feature The Escape Club's "Wild, Wild West" as it was the first ever UK song to go US#1 not to chart at home ! But was it released as a UK single ?

If anyone can verify that for us we'll certainly add it to the list. Please assist if you can !!!

Here's 2 songs from Buck Owens & His Buckaroos that were US #1 and #6 Country Hits respectively, but failed to make the US Pop Charts.

We really liked them in Australia where they were both Top 10 Pop Hits. :)

owens.jpg

Made In Japan (AUS #7, 1972)

(It's A) Monster's Holiday (AUS #4, 1974)

U.S.

BEACH BOYS

Bobbie GENTRY

Bill HALEY

Bill JUSTIS

Vicki LAWRENCE

Roy ORBISON

Buck OWENS

Gene PITNEY

Johnnie RAY

Susan RAYE

Carole Bayer SAGER

Boz SCAGGS

Del SHANNON

Elvis PRESLEY

Bobby VEE

U.K.

BEATLES

FISCHER Z

Ian GOMM

LULU

OUTSIDERS

I have all the singles you mention by Fancy, Ian Whitcomb and Escape Club, all British releases and bought by myself. I have over 100,000 records and have chart books from all over the world but I'm primarily an 'expert' on UK releases. Check out Terry Hounsome's book 'Single File' for references to anything released over here, I use it religiously. I don't know what source you used to check out Ian Whitcomb's clarification but 'You Turn Me On' was released in the UK on Capitol in May 1965 the catalogue no is CL15395. I don't like having to tell people they are wrong with their information, hope you're not offended OLD55.

I don't know what source you used to check out Ian Whitcomb's clarification but 'You Turn Me On' was released in the UK on Capitol in May 1965 the catalogue no is CL15395. I don't like having to tell people they are wrong with their information, hope you're not offended OLD55.

Certainly not, my friend ! I have Graham Betts' UK Hit Singles Book, but of course that doesn't show all UK releases. I looked up Discographies on different sites on the Net, but I'd rather trust a reliable book anytime. I have about a dozen of Joel Whitburn's US Chart Books which I read voraciously. My Wife says "how can you read them over and over ?" + Australian and Queensland (my State) Books. AUS Charts were irregular, with various ones accepted as 'official' at different times.

I didn't realise you were such a prolific collector.

Anytime I have trouble with UK releases please step in and help me out.

I'll add 'You Turn Me On' and ' Wild, Wild West' (both US Top Tens) to the list. Thank you. :)

That's great Old 55, always glad to be of assistance. When your biggest passion in life is the history of Pop Music and there's a great subject such as this to get your teeth into, I could post all day long. Re chart books, I have US, Australian, Belgian, Dutch and German as well as my British collections. At my regular Pop Quizzes I often feature hits from around the world using my books for reference. I'm very much into discovering great music from other countries that's why this current thread is such a fascinating read for me. Look forward to more posts of the same.

We're 2 of a kind ! :)

I love Pop Trivia and used to run a Quiz here some years ago, but I was so computer naive I didn't realise that my friends could look some answers up on Google.:jester:

And thank you for these 2 songs which didn't chart in the UK but went Top Ten in the US.....

You Turn Me On (Turn On Song) - Ian Whitcomb And Bluesville US #8, 1965

whit.jpg

Wild, Wild West - The Escape Club US #1, 1988

escape.jpg

U.S.

BEACH BOYS

Bobbie GENTRY

Bill HALEY

Bill JUSTIS

Vicki LAWRENCE

Roy ORBISON