US and UK Songs that flopped at Home but HIT in Other Countries

OLD 55

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carole Bayer Sager wrote/co-wrote a number of hit songs, but was not widely known as a performer. Two of her best known collaborators were Burt Bacharach and Peter Allen. This one that she co-wrote with Bette Midler and Bruce Roberts was only mildly successful in the U.S. at #69, but was #1 for 3 weeks in Australia in 1977.

It was also a Hit in the U.K. reaching #6. This video is from the B.B.C.'s 'Top Of The Pops' TV program.You're Moving Out Today - Carole Bayer Sager (1977)

cbs.jpg

Thank You to those who found this thread interesting enough to view it. I appreciate your support. This will be my last post. I'm finishing with songs by the two 'biggest' artists of the Rock 'N' Roll era. Both of these songs were released on Albums, but didn't cash in as singles for Elvis Presley or The Beatles - each being taken to #1 in their respective Countries by another artist/group.

elvis.jpg

Wooden Heart - Elvis Presley

This was released on the G.I. Blues Album in late 1960. The cover single by Joe Dowell made U.S. #1 in 1961.

Elvis' version was released as a single in both the U.K. (#1 for 6 weeks) and Australia (#1 for 5 weeks), + numerous other Countries.

WHY wasn't a U.S. single issued at the time ? (instead of belatedly in 1964 and again in 1965, not making the Hot 100 on either occasion).

My guess would be that Elvis' 'advisors' reckoned they could sell more copies of the G.I. Blues Album. You paid a lot more for an Album than a Single in 1961.

beatles.jpg

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - The Beatles

This was released on the "White" Album in late 1968. The cover single by Marmalade made U.K. #1 in 1969 for 3 weeks.

The Beatles' version was released as a single in Australia in 1969 where it was #1 for 5 weeks, but not in the U.S. until 1976, reaching #49.

WHY wasn't a U.K. single issued at the time ? Another guess. John and Paul were probably at each other's throats then, and John absolutely hated the song, which was written by Paul. Sad.

And it's "Goodnight" from OLD 55. God Bless You All.

• 3 months later...

V__C10D.jpg

Val and I are Grandparents again. :partytime1:

Daughter Julie and Son-in-Law Al presented us with baby Reuben at 4.19 pm last Tuesday. He weighed in at 8lb.13oz.and looks like he's going to be tall - maybe play basketball and pick up a nice NBA contract in a few years time.

But you have to get things in perspective. Here he is on Day 2 with his earphones on, listening to some Rock Music - Bobby Vee singing 'Baby Face'. :headphones:

Baby Face only bubbled under at #119 in the U.S., but made it to #4 in Australia for Bobby Vee in 1961.

bvee.jpg

Baby Face - Bobby Vee

No dingos around here Mate. :) His Mom and Dad have 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks, bred to bring down lions in Africa; they'd make short work of any dingo, but they're very good with children (I hope !)

Thanks Ray, Brad, Jenny, Laurie, Sammy, Kenne and Elena for your good wishes.

You are, and always will be, special friends to me. I consider myself very fortunate to know you. :headphones:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Checking through the Artists/Groups we've looked at so far, I noticed I had only two from the UK. This song definitely deserves a mention.....

To Sir With Love - Lulu (1967)

Lulu.jpg

This is the original UK record where it was released as a 'B' side. It reached #2 in Australia, and was a massive US Hit staying at #1 for 5 weeks !

ARTISTS/GROUPS FEATURED SO FAR....

U.S.

BEACH BOYS

Bobbie GENTRY

Bill HALEY

Bill JUSTIS

Vicki LAWRENCE

Roy ORBISON

Gene PITNEY

Johnnie RAY

Susan RAYE

Carole Bayer SAGER

Boz SCAGGS

Del SHANNON

Elvis PRESLEY

Bobby VEE

U.K.

BEATLES

FISCHER Z

LULU

:headphones:

"Back In Black" was the B-side to "What Do You Do For Money Honey?" and was a bust in Australia, peaking at #65. The song reached #37 on Billboard "Hot 100" and #1 on US "Hard Rock". 31 years after it's release it hit #27 (#1 on Rock & Metal) in the UK. The song reached #28 in Scotland. This was AC/DC's first single to chart so low in Australia yet chart higher than most other AC/DC singles in every other country.

Edited by Guest

Hi Ray ! Thanks for that, but that single is a 2012 re-issue of the song. I don't think 'Back In Black' was originally released as a single in Australia. 'What Do You Do For Money Honey' was the B side of one of their big Australian Hits - (maybe 'You Shook Me All Night Long' ?). Unfortunately I don't have a reliable Australian AC/DC Discography of all their singles.

Happy New Year Mate. :)

And a Happy New Year to you as well! :grin:

You are correct (as is normally the case) about the re-issue. :doh:

The re-issue of "Back In Black" had "What Do You Do For Money Honey" in certain countries & others had "Shoot To Thrill". I also discovered that some extended singles had "Back In Black" on both sides. One studio version & the live version on side "B". The "A" side had roughly 15 seconds of silence then a single guitar (Malcolm) playing a faint tune (claimed to be "Ride On", but I've never heard it) for about a minute to fill the void due to the lengthier live "B" side.

If nothing else, this error on my part has just opened up a new can of worms. :wink: