Rolling Stone Mag's Top 10 Worst Bands of the 90's (Nirvana included)

MindCrime

Rolling Stone Magazine recently did a poll for their readers to pick the worst bands of the 1990s. This is the final result.

10. Dave Matthews Band

9. Ace of Base

8. Spin Doctors

7. Bush

6. Hootie and the Blowfish

5. Nirvana

4. Hanson

3. Limp Bizkit

2. Nickelback

1. Creed

It's an accurate list except for Nirvana. I understand the Nirvana hatred though because 1) they were everywhere, and music fans have developed a natural fear of that which is popular and 2) they are inadvertently responsible for some truly awful predecessors. But Nirvana still rocks. Obviously.

I would replace Nirvana with Silverchair or Marilyn Manson or even late 90's Metallica, since Kidrock doesn't count as a band I suppose, and replace Bush with Oasis after they stated they're bigger than the Beatles. If a pop group such as Ace of Base is on there, then the Spice Girls & all the boy bands should be also over any of these choices really.

Manson had some good songs and late 90s Metallica is only awful compared to their earlier stuff. Oasis was a great band, just way too egotistical, but that doesn't detract from the music itself. The late 90's was the era of boy bands and Britney Spears (and Britney Spears imitators). Any of those artists could make the list. But if the list is for worst rock artists of the 90's, I think this list isn't bad, as long as you exclude Nirvana. And I guess Hanson doesn't really count, but they were so ubiquitous and obnoxious in the 90s they should make any list.

How can a list of the worst bands of the '90s not include Color Me Badd? Best known for their debut single "I Wanna Sex You Up," they followed it up with "I Adore Mi Amor" and "All 4 Love," which by lack of anything better by Paula Abdul, were #1 hits in 1991.

Color Me Badd continued to pollute the airwaves with six more Top-40 hits over the next five years, becoming one of those bands that no one really liked, but everyone would tolerate.

They never enjoyed the Creed or even Hanson level of derision, since there was no debate on their merits - hating on CMB would be like kicking a pug.

The group would later provide inspiration for the Justin Timberlake/Andy Samberg SNL duo that gave up "D--K In A Box."

"I Can't Dance" should be enough to put Genesis on this list.

Genesis isn't a 90s band, though. A 90s band to me is a group that got their start in that decade, not one that just happened to have a hit at that time. I don't like the song either, I prefer the material they did in the mid-to-late 70s/early 80s, but they don't belong on the list.

Oh I know, I was mostly just referencing that song as a joke because of how bad it is. I doubt most anyone remembers anything Genesis or Collins recorded in the early 90s. I would put the video for I Cant Dance (or Jesus He Loves Me) on a worst videos of the 90's list though. I do like the song "No Son of Mine" though, it's possibly their best with Collins.

Oh I know, I was mostly just referencing that song as a joke because of how bad it is. I doubt most anyone remembers anything Genesis or Collins recorded in the early 90s. I would put the video for I Cant Dance (or Jesus He Loves Me) on a worst videos of the 90's list though. I do like the song "No Son of Mine" though, it's possibly their best with Collins.

I have three favorite songs of theirs when Phil Collins became the lead vocalist; Many Too Many, That's All, Follow You Follow Me. I like *some* of his 80s solo numbers, but I don't like the 90s-era Genesis at all.