The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #330 Special: Covers

Welcome to the...

sfc6.png

#330 Special: Covers

ALL MEMBERS OF SONGFACTS ARE MOST WELCOME TO PARTICIPATE. The greater the participation, the more diverse, and more representative our top ten list is.

We'd like to invite everyone to help us select THE SONGFACTORS' CHOICE TOP TEN!

This week of course is the COVERS SPECIAL, which is Kenne's 'Baby', but he's been delayed and will tell you more about it later !

IT'S SIMPLE, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS:

* Nominate up to three songs that haven't made the Ten before ...

Multiple nominations of the same artist are permitted for this Special, but each person's nominated songs must be by 3 different artists.

Click here to view Every Song That's Made The Songfactors' Choice Top Tens (Artists).

... And here to view Every Song That's made The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten (Songs)

* When nominations close, choose your favorite Ten songs in order of preference from the Final Nominations and post them here. Points are allotted, 10 for your #1 song, 9 for #2, Etc. and our Top Ten is compiled from them. At the end of the voting period we'll announce The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten For that week.

Nominatenow.png

:headphones:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question, it might be silly but I'm asking anyway ...

In the case of a singer/songwriter, in which the first version released was by someone other than the writer, for example, Take it Easy by both the Eagles, and Jackson Browne (writer, later release) .... which is the cover? The later release, even though he wrote the song? Sorry, but these things get technical - this has always confused me. :tongue:

Have been out of the TT's for a while, but the covers idea intrigued me. These were all in my PTT or PTT2, in either the cover or original version:

Can’t Help Falling in Love – UB 40 (1993)

Original by Elvis Presley

Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me – George Michael & Elton John (1991)

Original by Elton John (solo)

I Will Always Love You – Whitney Houston (1992)

Original by Dolly Parton

Edited by Guest

Hi Jeff. :)

I'm not sure if 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me' really qualifies because Elton John (the original artist) is included. I didn't nominate 'Don't Worry Baby' by Lorrie Morgan with The Beach Boys for that reason. There's others too, eg 'Peter Gunn' by The Art Of Noise with Duane Eddy.

I'd suggest to the Executive to let it stand this time, and then clarify it one way or the other for future Covers Specials.

And with the great response we're getting - there'll be more I reckon. Well done Kenne. :thumbsup:

1. Harlem Nocturne - The Viscounts (1959) original release Ray Noble and His Orchestra featuring Jack Dumont (1940)

I don't want to make myself sound older than I am, but I know the original keyboard player from The Viscounts (Larry Vecchio) from the business world. I played alto sax with him and other musicians at a Christmas Party but my odd rock sax style didn't mesh at all with their doo wop/50's style. Frankly, I was never a professional musician and I couldn't keep up with these boys at all.

Hi Jeff. :)

I'm not sure if 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me' really qualifies because Elton John (the original artist) is included. I didn't nominate 'Don't Worry Baby' by Lorrie Morgan with The Beach Boys for that reason. There's others too, eg 'Peter Gunn' by The Art Of Noise with Duane Eddy.

I'd suggest to the Executive to let it stand this time, and then clarify it one way or the other for future Covers Specials.

I wasn't sure either, so I'll nominate a different one instead to avoid any issues:

I Swear - All-4-One (1994)

Original by John Michael Montgomery

Edited by Guest

I don't want to make myself sound older than I am, but I know the original keyboard player from The Viscounts (Larry Vecchio) from the business world. I played alto sax with him and other musicians at a Christmas Party but my odd rock sax style didn't mesh at all with their doo wop/50's style. Frankly, I was never a professional musician and I couldn't keep up with these boys at all.

My God man! How old are you?