Twin

Steel2Velvet

Not my writing, but am sharing because it is creative and compellingly thought provoking:

In a mother's womb were twin fetuses. One asked the other, "Do you believe in life after delivery?" The other replies, "Why, of course. There has to be something after delivery. We are here now in order to prepare ourselves for what we will be later. "Nonsense," said the other, "I don't think there is life after delivery. What would that life be?" "I don't know, but I hope there will be more light than here. Maybe we will move our legs to get from place to place and eat from our mouths." The other rebutted, "That is absurd! The myth of walking is obviously impossible. And eat with our mouths? Ridiculous! The umbilical cord is necessary to supply nutrition. A life of movement after delivery is physically impossible. The umbilical cord is too short." "I think there is something," said the optimist, "and maybe it's different than it is here." The other retorts, "No one has ever come back from there. Delivery is the end of life, and in the after-delivery it is nothingness and darkness that takes us nowhere." "Well, I have hope," says the other, "that certainly we will see Mother and she will take care of us." "Mother??" You believe in Mother? Where is she now?! "She is all around us. It is in her that we live. Without her there would not be this world." "I don't see her, so it's only logical that she doesn't exist." To which the other replied, "Sometimes when I'm silent and still, I can hear her, I can perceive her. I believe there is a reality after delivery and we are here to prepare ourselves for that reality." To which the pessimist replied, "I pity your delusional mind filled with thoughts of an imaginary friend!"

Check back for the results, kids.

If there really is no evidence within the womb for something outside the womb (Whether or not there actually is is clearly irrelevant to the allegory. We're obviously working under the assumption that there isn't.) then the "pessimistic" twin is perfectly rational in believing as he does. I imagine that once he is born he will gladly admit that he was wrong, given the new evidence staring him in the face. Likewise, I will believe in god when there is evidence for it. If that occurs after death I will gladly alter my worldview to incorporate him. As any rational person would.