I'm looking for a special song from the 80ies

smidoc

I have a song in mind for almost a month now and I can't find it. It makes me almost crazy :) Maybe someone of you can help. Would be great... I really would like to listen to this song!

what I can remember:

- I think it's a song from mid/end 80ies

- could be a one hit wonder

- it has long spoken parts with the voice from a boy who talks about what he wants to be when he's grown up

- it's a long list of jobs - i think he talks about being a fireman and an astronaut... and a lot of other things

- could be that he talks to his dad

- the music has an easy groove, kind of reggae

- i think the chorus is instrumental - a synth with a catchy melody played by something like a flute (or also a high synth)

- i think there is also a music video with a little boy, I think he's black but I'm not sure

I know it's not much information, but there are not so much well known spoken songs from the 80ies. Can you help me? Would be so good!

Best,

smidoc

Edited by Guest

thanks for the help but it's not "pass the dutchie". the song I look for has a reggae feel but it's not so obviously reggae like "pass the dutchie".

if you know the video: i think i remember that the boy changes clothes all the time. he wears all the different uniforms from the jobs he mentions.

someone got to know this song... i hope.

Great job, PB! :thumbsup:

I never heard of that song until now.

It's titled "Hey Matthew" by Karel Fialka.

I looked it up just now and found it is from his 1988 album, Human Animal.

The song was a #9 hit on the UK Singles chart in Sep. 1987.

It was also a #29 hit on the U.S. Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart in Feb. 1989.

The song incorporates some spoken vocals of Karel's step-son, Matthew.

this is so cool to hear this song after all the years.... i was not very right with some of my hints.... but you've found it. perfect!

i swear i won't get that melody out of my head for weeks now.

again: thank you very much!

I feel like that bartender in Cheers when Norm comes in and orders a Screaming Viking. Just when you think you know every song...

Carl, do you want the cucumber bruised? :laughing:

Video Interlude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBazaWO03Fo