2013 In Music

RockyRaccoon

The Great Gatsby soundtrack is really interesting for the first 6 or 7 songs. After seeing Lana Del Rey on Saturday Night Live, I've wondered how she gets by with such a weak voice, but she works really well on her Gatsby song "Young And Beautiful" (

)

If you process her just right, she sounds pretty good. Paula Abdul's voice was the same way.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new Queens of the Stone Age album is great, if slightly disappointing only because it wasn't what I expected. Josh Homme put the old lineup from Songs For The Deaf back together, so I was expecting more balls-to-the-wall riff rock. Instead, Like Clockwork is a little more subtle, or at least as subtle as QOTSA can be. Still, a new Queens album is something to celebrate, and this one is very, very good.

I've been listening to the new Alice in Chains album "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here". I really haven't been that impressed by it, and this was my favorite band during the 90's, I also liked their last album from a few years ago. Perhaps I need to listen to it a few more times. It would also help persuade my opinion if they had a show coming here in Phoenix, but I haven't seen anything on their tour for it, seems they're only going to smaller midwest towns and ignoring the larger major cities, including their hometown Seattle.

Another well-hyped band that's earned all the acclaim: Savages. Their debut, Silence Yourself, is AMAZING.

Finally got around to listening to this. Really really good. I have to say, the most impressive part of it is the sound. The guitar work is just amazing, I love it.

Sounds a lot like Sonic Youth I think.

Right? They definitely have that 80s post-punk Siouxsie kind of sound, but with better production values.

Also, the first four songs on Yeezus might be the best thing Kanye's ever done. The rest of the album is just ok.

Oh man, what about "Blood On The Leaves"? That song is great

Any Black Sabbath reunion album would run the risk of sounding like a parody of classic Sabbath. Unfortunately, despite some rockin' moments, that's just what 13 sounds like. Brad Wilk is no Bill Ward, Ozzy doesn't sound engaged at all, and Tony Iommi just keeps on churning out riffs that he could have written in his sleep.