Historically Correct Songs

_jr_

Someone in another thread mentioned Gordon Lightfoot,( I think it was Elvish) and the first thing I thought of was, in 7th grade, we actually were assigned to research this song.

It's historical acurracy, the Chippewa, the Great Lakes, etc.

Can anyone post other songs with historical references, or tells a story of specific time or events that actually occured? I'm sure there are plenty, and I'm always ready to learn some things I may not have known.

Actually, I think it was Peaches that mentioned Gordon. But as soon as I saw this thread the first thing that came to mind was "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

Some other songs about specific events in time:

Woodstock & Ohio- CSNY

Cortez the Killer - just Young

There are also songs that come to mind about lots of historical events, such as

Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones

We Didn't Start the Fire - Billy Joel

I read once upon a time that Hendrix wrote Little Wing about the Monterrey Pop Festival, as if from a girl's perspecitive. Not sure if that's true or not.

We had to do a report on Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire in high school. We had to pinpoint each historical reference and come up with it's meaning. I forget exactly what it was all about because this was a long time ago, but for some reason they had us do this during English instead of History.

Rage against the machine has a song about amadou diallo

The hurricane : Bob Dylan

Nebraska : Bruce Springsteen

Someone told me once that I shot the sheriff was based on a true story but who knows?

Vincent by Don Mcclean

Working for MCA by Lynard Skynard

(I don't know if it's historical but true)

as is Pink Floyd's gravy train

jimmy Dean's Big Bad John

A day in the life : the Beatles

Hurricane-Dylan

Ballad Of John And Yoko-Beatles

Woodstock-various

Abraham, Martin and John-Dion

Right Here, Right Now-Jesus Jones

I Don't Like Mondays-Boomtown Rats

What's The Frequency, Kenneth-REM

Let's Roll-Neil Young

My City Of Dreams-Springsteen

Good one, Uncs. I noticed a post by Elvish on another thread that would fit this one. "Hey Man, Nice Shot" by Filter. It supposedly is about former Pennsylvania State Treasurer, R. Budd Dwyer, who, when under suspicion of wrongdoing, shot himself in the head during a press conference. There are even sites where you can actually see the deed being done live. I don't recommend them to anyone, but they're out there.

Rock on, eb'rybody...and don't do crack!!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: