the 90s

ufo8mycat26600

I like The Offspring, Foo Fighters and Three Doors Down, and a few songs by the Goo Goo Dolls, but that's about it.

The 80's did have some memorable (yet very forgettable) tunes, but mostly because they were accompanied by a relatively new concept called video, and a lot of those videos were funny. But mostly the music from the 80's was a lot of that techno pop stuff which wasn't very appealing and didn't take a whole lot of talent to write or play.

I still prefer the 70's music. Heavy guitars and heavy drums are what makes rock 'n' roll what it is. Rock on!!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :afro: :afro:

I listened to some decent bands in the 90s - Counting Crows, Gin Blossoms, Spin Doctors, matchbox 20, Oasis, Bush, Green Day etc. And there were memorable songs from that decade, although perhaps not as memorable as some 80s songs. Ones that come to mind:

Alanis Morisette - You Oughta Know (and others from her Jagged LIttle Pill CD)

4 Non Blondes - What's Going On?

Mazzy Star - Fade Into You

Soul Asylum - Runaway Train

Presidents of the USA - Lump

Smooth - Santana w/Rob Thomas

Also, the "Unplugged" craze hit full force. Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" and unplugged "Layla" were hits.

I'll probably think of more. . .

I've always wondered when 'acoustic' became 'unplugged'. I always thought the ball started rolling on that craze when Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora did 'Wanted' with just two guitars on some award show or something back in 87 or 88.

As far as 90's music goes, I'm sorry, it's just not as good as any other time period. I think it may be a combination of corporate jack*sses making the decision as to what gets played and what doesn't and me getting older and a little more close minded. God, I'm like my folks.

It just sounds like one long dance song, for the most part.

Oh, and Welcome to Songfacts! :headphones: Sorry to hear about your cat.

I listened to some decent bands in the 90s - Counting Crows, Gin Blossoms, Spin Doctors, matchbox 20, Oasis, Bush, Green Day etc. And there were memorable songs from that decade, although perhaps not as memorable as some 80s songs. Ones that come to mind:

Alanis Morisette - You Oughta Know (and others from her Jagged LIttle Pill CD)

4 Non Blondes - What's Going On?

Mazzy Star - Fade Into You

Soul Asylum - Runaway Train

Presidents of the USA - Lump

Smooth - Santana w/Rob Thomas

Also, the "Unplugged" craze hit full force. Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" and unplugged "Layla" were hits.

I'll probably think of more. . .

Oh yeah, I forgot about all these guys. I love the Counting Crows first album ("Rain King" and "Mr. Jones" are awesome tunes)....but they quickly went right in the crapper ("Big Yellow Taxi"). Spin Doctors and Oasis were good. Oasis had a lot of potential, but they thought they were bigger than both Jesus Christ AND the Beatles. Soul Asylum had an absolutely superb debut album ("Grave Dancers Union"), but whatever happened to those guys? Matchbox 20 had a good start, but all their songs began to sound exactly the same. None of these bands have any staying power anymore. And Bush just flat out sucks! Third Eye Blind is excellent.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Oh yeah, I forgot about all these guys. I love the Counting Crows first album ("Rain King" and "Mr. Jones" are awesome tunes)....but they quickly went right in the crapper ("Big Yellow Taxi").

Agree with you on both counts. My favorite song of theirs was "A Long December" from their second album.

Soul Asylum had an absolutely superb debut album ("Grave Dancers Union"), but whatever happened to those guys?

I have no idea. They don't even have a website. ::

Matchbox 20 had a good start, but all their songs began to sound exactly the same.

I really didn't care for their second album, but the i enjoyed their latest "More Than You Think You Are." I think Rob Thomas is one of the few truly talented songwriters of our generation.

And Bush just flat out sucks!

They do now! I liked Sixteen Stone. "Glycerine" was an awesome song.

I remember the Foo Fighters "Monkey Wrench". I bought it and was appalled there wasn't a thank-you on the album to the Ramones. That song was clearly a direct Ramones rip off. Be that as it may, my son was 4, maybe 5. Kids say, and sing what they hear. And there was Korey, "Don't wanna be your lucky friend....."

And the most memorable musical event of the 1990's, was the 1996 reunion of the most powerful rock band on earth, :rockon: Kiss. :rockon:

Ken.

is it just me or does it feel like the 80s had so many more memorable songs than the 90s...what songs do you remember from the 90s?

I remember more songs from the 90s, but I like more 80s muzak :beatnik:

Here's a 90s sampler from XXX:

"Crank" by The Catherine Wheel

"December" by Collective Soul

"Bizarre Love Triangle" as covered by Frente

"Shuffle It All" by Izzy Stradlin And The Ju-Ju Hounds

"Fade Into You" by Mazzy Star

"The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" by Morrissey

"Lonely Me Lonely You" by Naked Soul

"Grey Cell Green" by Ned's Atomic Dust Bin

"Regret" by NewOrder

"Sublime" by The Ocean Blue

"Live Forever" by Oasis

"The Story Of My Life (Live)" by Social Distortion

"Somebody To Shove" by Soul Asulym

"Plowed" by Sponge

"Plush" by The Stone Temple Pilots

"Metal Mickey" by Suede

"Helpless" by Sugar

"Break It Down Again" by Tears For Fears

I could go on listin' into the next page :headphones:

Oh yeah, I forgot about all these guys. I love the Counting Crows first album ("Rain King" and "Mr. Jones" are awesome tunes)....but they quickly went right in the crapper ("Big Yellow Taxi"). Spin Doctors and Oasis were good. Oasis had a lot of potential, but they thought they were bigger than both Jesus Christ AND the Beatles. Soul Asylum had an absolutely superb debut album ("Grave Dancers Union"), but whatever happened to those guys? Matchbox 20 had a good start, but all their songs began to sound exactly the same. None of these bands have any staying power anymore. And Bush just flat out sucks! Third Eye Blind is excellent.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Soul Asylum debuted 8 years before Grave Dancers Union

:afro: :beatnik: :afro: :beatnik:

I agree with a few of the ones that XXX listed

My CD's from the 90's (that I still listen to)

Alice in Chains

Collective Soul (some of their stuff)

Days of the New (I liked them for a short while)

Guns N' Roses - Use your Illusion albums

KMFDM

Korn - Debut album

Megadeth

Metallica - Black Album only

Ministry

Nine Inch Nails - Broken & Downward Spiral

Ozzy - No More Tears & Ozzmosis

Pantera

Rancid & various other punk groups

RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Soundgarden

Stabbing Westward

Stone Temple Pilots - Core

Tool

White Zombie

The rest of my 90's collection collects dust on the rack.

STP

Sheryl Crow (I know she started in the late '80's)

Collective Soul (thanks for reminding me, Mindcrime.."Gel" is on one of my workout tapes)

Sublime

Pearl Jam

TLC (better after the '90's, but started then)

Lenny Kravitz

Hootie and the Blowfish (Okay, I'll put this in :o since I own two of their CD's)

Matchbox Twenty

Collective Soul (thanks for reminding me, Mindcrime.."Gel" is on one of my workout tapes)

Sublime

That's funny, because it's one of my favorite workout songs as well, it helps get me pumped. I somehow forgot about Sublime, they were one of my favorites for a while during the decade.