Artists Who Star In Movies

Carl

Brad's post on the Magical Mystery Tour re-release got me thinking about this.

Many singers have appeared in movies, but who are some that have starred in movies that are showcases for their music? Not documentaries, but scripted films with plenty of performance scenes.

The only three I can think of are:

The Beatles

Elvis

Prince

There have to be others, right? Let's say it has to be more than one film so Britney Spears doesn't count.

Brad's post on the Magical Mystery Tour re-release got me thinking about this.

Many singers have appeared in movies, but who are some that have starred in movies that are showcases for their music? Not documentaries, but scripted films with plenty of performance scenes.

The only three I can think of are:

The Beatles

Elvis

Prince

There have to be others, right? Let's say it has to be more than one film so Britney Spears doesn't count.

Daft Punk had the animated film Interstella 5555, which showcased every song from their album, Discovery :beatnik:

David Bowie wrote the music for, and starred in, Labyrinth.

Kris Kristofferson starred in and collaborated with song-writer Paul Williams for some music in the remake of A Star Is Born.

Also Kris co-wrote songs for and starred in Songwriter, along with Willie Nelson, who has had several films where acted and wrote the music; Honeysuckle Rose, Red-Headed Stranger among them.

Neil Diamond also starred in a remake of The Jazz Singer, for which I think he wrote some of the songs.