Unknown 60's song...driving me nuts for 35+ years

skeptic53

In the 60's I lived in Lompoc, a small town on the Central California coast. It had one AM pop station, and the neighboring town, Santa Maria, had one also. There was a song from approximately 1967, part of the lyrics went:

"Happiness is when I'm near you, to share your smile, always near you..."

I never remembered who sang it, and didn't run into anyone who remembered it until 10 years later. She could sing it but didn't remember the artist. I wrote down more of the lyrics but lost them. Google and other lyric sites have been no help, no one in oldies record stores knows it, the local Seattle oldies station DJ's don't know it. It obviously didn't make the charts, it wasn't that good a song, but for some evil reason it has been bugging me for almost 40 years! Anybody recognize it? Thanks!

I tried to do a google search, using examples of those lyrics & found nothing. Could it have been a local, or even a rare song at the time ?

It might have, but I remember hearing it on the radio in our pickup in Nevada on a trip in the summer of 1967. But my memory ain't what it used to be (hey, what is?). I too tried Google and lots of other lyric sites with no luck. If my acquaintance hadn't sung it in 1977 I'd think it was a figment of my imagination. Thanks for trying!

Uh... nope. "Cherish" is a well-known hit that was #1 in September, #2 overall for the year on the 1966 Billboard chart. Very similar tune and sentiment, the driving-me-nuts song is similar in feel to "Cherish", but it doesn't have the sad "you don't love me" content that "Cherish" has.

Thanks, though!

Could it possibly be The Yardbirds' Knowing?

I realize that the lyrics don't match the ones you gave exactly but they are pretty darn close:

Laughed and loved, when others sang,

Their songs of love, nothing rang,

Of truth to me.

And then I did not see reality,

But now I know.

Sad in mind, I thought I'd lost,

Someone who would share the cost,

Of being here.

But now you're always near,

And I must sing.

Knowing 'bout the happiness,

Of sharing nights with you.