Summer Olympics 2012

Carl

If I were that guy I wouldn't give a monkey's bottom if it were the Queen herself jumping up and down in front of me. I paid a ticket and have a right to watch the event, besides it's gymnastics, not Mardi Gras... show some class.

Let me see if I get this straight; jumping and down and being pants-on-head excited that your daughter just nailed a difficult pass in an event she eventually won the gold medal in isn't "classy"?

Also, if you think anything that was exhibited by Ms. Raisman's father is anything akin to what you'd see at Mardi Gras, you've clearly never been to Mardi Gras, unless her mother was also flashing her breasts for beads, while balancing a beer in her hand. It's sports. People are going to get excited, scream, cheer, jump and down, the whole gamillah. That's what you do. You don't sit on your hands and stare intently at what's in front of you like you're at the opera.

Especially in sports which aren't that mainstream, the athletes often more or less busted their behinds for four years(!) just for this event.

I'll say they're (and their family, friends, coaches and fans) are allowed to be a bit happy if they're doing well, don't you think? ;)

I had no idea other countries participated. I thought it was just a great big competition involving about 150,000 Americans trying to out-do each other. :tongue:

For the benefit of these two jesters, and anybody else who might be interested; if the Medals Table were reorganised on a per capita basis (ie. medals won per head of population) Team GB wins the contest hands down. So how do you feel now,suckers? ;)

Better still; my own county of Yorkshire, if it had competed the Games in its own right, finished 12th in the Medal Table, above the likes of Netherlands, South Africa, Czech Republic, Spain, Ukraine, Cuba, Jamaica, etc., thanks to incredible performances by thefantastic Jessica Ennis (Women's Heptathlon) :bow: , the Brownlee brothers (Gold & bronze in the Triathlon, from Leeds), Nicola Adams (the women's Boxing gold medallist, from Leeds), Ed Clancy, (cyclist), Lizzie Armitstead (road racer), et al.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it! :)

Edited by Guest

Was is just me, or did it look like the bronze medal winners were a lot more psyched than the silvers?

That closing ceremony was a brilliant mess. Jessie J./Brian May didn't have quite the impact of Leona Lewis/Jimmy Page, but we got to see the Kaiser Chiefs do The Who, Annie Lennox lead a pirate ship, and George Michael do a delightful "Freedom '90." The Spice Girls were comic relief.

Was is just me, or did it look like the bronze medal winners were a lot more psyched than the silvers?

It's always like this... because of the perspective: the bronze medal winner always thinks "oh wow! just 1 second slower and I wouldn't have won anything... awesome :) "

while the silver medalist thinks "aw man... just 1 second faster and I could've had gold :( "

Bronze medalists are just happy to medal. Silver medalists are sad they didn't win the gold. Like Farin said, in some of these sports, a 1 second difference can separate the color medal you get from not medalling at all.

For the benefit of these two jesters, and anybody else who might be interested; if the Medals Table were reorganised on a per capita basis (ie. medals won per head of population) Team GB wins the contest hands down. So how do you feel now,suckers? ;)

GB would have sunk to the bottom of the list if the Medals Table were reorganized by medals won per head of sheep population. :jester: