'B' - Sides that out sold 'A' sides.

Credence did it many times. Bad Moon Rising was the B-side to Lodi; Up Around The Bend was the B-side to Run Thru The Jungle; Who'll Stop The Rain was the B-side to Travelin' Band; Green River was the B-side to Commotion; Down On The Corner was the B-side to Fortunate Son.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

"I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor was originally the B-side to her cover of The Righteous Brothers' song "Substitute." DJs flipped the record over and started playing it, and it became huge. The single was then re-pressed with I Will Survive as the A-side. Some other B-sides that became bigger hits than their A-side counterpart were:

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (A-Side: My Bucket's Got a Hole In It) - Hank Williams, Sr.

I'll Be Around (A-Side: How Could I Let You Get Away?) - The Spinners

Roadhouse Blues (A-Side: You Make Me Real) - The Doors

Unchained Melody (A-Side: Hung On You) - The Righteous Brothers

Tequila (A-Side: Train To Nowhere) - The Champs

Green Onions (A-Side: Behave Yourself) - Booker T. and the M.G.s

Rock Around The Clock (A-Side: Thirteen Women [And Only One Man In Town]) - Bill Haley & His Comets

The Horse-Cliff Nobles & Co

From Wikipedia:

"Their second release for the record label was the single "Love Is All Right" b/w "The Horse", which featured the horn section from what would later be known as MFSB. "The Horse" was simply an instrumental version of the A-side, and Nobles, who was the lead singer, does not actually play on the track at all. Nevertheless, it caught fire at radio stations and became a hit, peaking at #2 for three weeks on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1968, as well as #2 on the Black Singles chart. It was held out of the #1 spot by Hugh Masekela's "Grazin' in the Grass", on the week of 29 July 1968 - resulting in the extremely rare occurrence of instrumentals occupying both the #1 and #2 slots of the pop charts in the same week ."The Horse" sold a million copies within three months of release, with the gold disc award from the R.I.A.A. made in August 1968."

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...