Andy Griffith Dead at 86

(Reuters) - Actor Andy Griffith, whose portrayal of a small-town sheriff made "The Andy Griffith Show" one of American television's most enduring shows, has died at his North Carolina home, television station WITN reported on Tuesday.

The television station quoted a longtime friend as saying that the 86-year-old actor died at his home on Roanoke Island. The Dare County Sheriff's dispatcher would say only that an ambulance was called to Griffith's residence but would not comment further.

(Reporting by Jane Sutton; Editing by Eric Beech)

Very sad news. Andy Griffith was one of the stars I idolized as a kid. The man always reminded me of my dad, similar physical appearance, and really good at playing country dumb, but sly as a fox in reality. RIP Mr Griffith. :bow:

Tough year for us boomers, it has not been pleasant watching so many of our idols slip away.... :P

My favorite Andy Griffith part was in a movie called "Rustler's Rhapsody" that had Tom Berenger, Madeline Stowe, and Marilu Henner in it. It's one of my all-time favorite flicks, and Griffith played a gay (or not?) powerful evil cattle baron to perfection. Hysterical spoof on spaghetti westerns. Wish I could find a copy of it on DVD somewhere that's not a knockoff.

Oh, that is sad. One of the best TV shows ever. Heck, I wanted to live in Mayberry, get some of Aunt Bea's cooking! He and Don Knotts played off each other so well in that show. He was also great in A Face In The Crowd, a 1957 movie directed by Elia Kazan. RIP Andy.

• 2 weeks later...