Flies On You

blind-fitter

I actually really like the video. The whole concept of "guy keeps stoically doing his thing while completely ignoring everything around him" reminds me of one of my favourite music videos of all: Rabbit in Your Headlights by UNKLE (directed by Jonathan Glazer)

compliments to the whole film crew, it's a really good quality :thumbsup:

also the umbrella's awesome :D

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We now have another video completed and uploaded to youtube yesterday: "Spain" ~ Flies On You

Caution: this song contains "cuss words" of the effing and blinding variety. Probably not suitable for children or those of a sensitive disposition.

Otherwise, please feel free to share our videos with any friends and acquaintances who might be interested. :)

• 1 month later...

"Nothing To Write Home About" is "featured album" on the excellent Fat Latch Radio Show (Broadcast #37): Listen Here

It's a great show with tracks by the likes of Guided By Voices, The Pretenders, John Cooper-Clarke, Shellac, Johnny Cash, Velvet Underground, Earth Wind & Fire, Mudhoney, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, The Four Tops, etc.

:partytime1:

Well...is it any good?

meh :P

just kidding ;)

no, I actually quite like it. The Steve Albini influences are still quite obvious, and I'm a sucker for cool basslines, which there are plenty of. Apart from that the album's pretty varied, which is always a good thing. Tracks like "Vacuum", "Yeah, wild I know but, nonetheless", "Dub cities" or "muh-m-m-m-m-muh" are nicely post-punky, and the female vocals are a nice touch as well... Also why do I keep thinking of the The Mob when listening to "The Sink"?

A highlight for myself is obviously "Schmutziger Hund" - it'd be awesome if you could tell what inspired THAT :D

all in all in the moment Slashing it Down is still my favourite song, but maybe that changes after a couple more listens. :)

PS is that a ping-pong ball in Shipmanesque?

Cheers for the feedback, Farin.

1) I'm pleased that you "quite like it", although a bit more enthusiasm wouldn't go amiss. :puppyeyes:

2) Obvious Steve Albini influences? Comrade Andy is mostly responsible for the musical side of things, and I don't think Albini is an influential figure in his scheme of things, so it's an interesting observation you make there.Kindly elaborate, plz.

3) Cool basslines. Yeah. Or bass sounds. One thing Andy and I agree on is the absolute superiority of the Jean Jacques Burnel bass sound. :bow:

4) Variety is indeed one of the album's strengths, I agree. No one track is very much like another.

5) The female vocals on Dub Cities: that is actually our 13 yr old daughters. :cuttie:

6) You hear The Mob when listening to "The Sink". Another interesting observation. I play the bass on that one; the bassline is actually an assimilation of a vocal melody from a Rudimentary Peni tune, slowed down beyond recognition. I played the bassline, Andy recorded it, looped the best bits, then created an ambient soundscape (using only electronic sounds) to accompany it. I then added the vocals, choosing to use a fairly sweet vocal tone, (for once), in juxtaposition to the brutal frankness of the lyric. To be honest, any resemblance to The Mob is wholly unintentional and coincidental. But when my missus heard this track recently, she made exactly the same observation...

7) Ah yes, Schmutziger Hund. I'm pleased you like that one. I'll save any revelations about Schmutziger Hund for the SongFacts songwriter interview. ;)

8) "Slashing It Down" does seem to be the most immediately catchy tune, the potential hit single, but there are other songs I think are much better. But it is a damn catchy tune

9) I don't think it is a ping-pong ball in Shipmanesque, but I hear what you mean.

:sing1:

"Slashing It Down" is my favorite tune... love that song! :rockon:

Some of the other tunes don't suit my personal tastes, but they're well done and as a former rocker I can appreciate the work put into them. A well put-together and diverse album gets :thumbsup: from me! :grin:

Cheers for the feedback, Farin.

1) I'm pleased that you "quite like it", although a bit more enthusiasm wouldn't go amiss. :puppyeyes:

2) Obvious Steve Albini influences? Comrade Andy is mostly responsible for the musical side of things, and I don't think Albini is an influential figure in his scheme of things, so it's an interesting observation you make there.Kindly elaborate, plz.

3) Cool basslines. Yeah. Or bass sounds. One thing Andy and I agree on is the absolute superiority of the Jean Jacques Burnel bass sound. :bow:

4) Variety is indeed one of the album's strengths, I agree. No one track is very much like another.

5) The female vocals on Dub Cities: that is actually our 13 yr old daughters. :cuttie:

6) You hear The Mob when listening to "The Sink". Another interesting observation. I play the bass on that one; the bassline is actually an assimilation of a vocal melody from a Rudimentary Peni tune, slowed down beyond recognition. I played the bassline, Andy recorded it, looped the best bits, then created an ambient soundscape (using only electronic sounds) to accompany it. I then added the vocals, choosing to use a fairly sweet vocal tone, (for once), in juxtaposition to the brutal frankness of the lyric. To be honest, any resemblance to The Mob is wholly unintentional and coincidental. But when my missus heard this track recently, she made exactly the same observation...

7) Ah yes, Schmutziger Hund. I'm pleased you like that one. I'll save any revelations about Schmutziger Hund for the SongFacts songwriter interview. ;)

8) "Slashing It Down" does seem to be the most immediately catchy tune, the potential hit single, but there are other songs I think are much better. But it is a damn catchy tune

9) I don't think it is a ping-pong ball in Shipmanesque, but I hear what you mean.

:sing1:

Don't nail me down to any associations I made - they're bound to be very subjective ;) I just got Big Black reminders when listening to some of the tracks (it could be that it's just because I don't know THAT much of them)

As for The Sink: it reminded me of No Doves Fly Here for the same reasons you stated (atmospheric with "sweet" vocals)

btw, maybe I should make it clear that that was meant as a compliment and I'm in no way complaining about it!

Tony Thornborough's (Not Bad) Radio Show

This show went out live last night.

The DJ, who I can assure you I had never seen, spoken to or even heard of until last week, has taken a liking to our album - declared it his "Album Of The Year" on air! - and played 3 Flies On You tracks on his inaugural Monday Night Show; the show-opener, the closer, and one bang in the middle. :-)

The patron of WHATEVER68, Lisa, played FLIES ON YOU ten times, that's TEN TIMES, (I kid you not), on her show on Tuesday.

Whatever68 Radio is a cracking punk rock radio station, based in California. Since there aren't many fans of punk rock, hardcore, anarcho-punk, thrash, street-punk, ska, etc. at Songfacts, I'm not sure how much it would appeal to any of you, but I listened for a while and enjoyed it immensely. :)

To clear up the confusion, THIS IS ME.

From this you'll be able to work out which of the characters in the "Slashing It Down" video is also me. :-)

Incidentally, I think I forgot to mention that Mark Whitby on Dandelion Radio Link not only features one of our tracks on his September show, but is so taken with the album, he as asked us to do a radio session for broadcast in March 2013. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

NO!!!! :shocked2:

B-F you're not supposed to look like that... you're supposed to look like Homer :P

Gratz on the great reception so far! Onwards and upwards eh :)

I'm not really a punky music kinda girl, but I have passed the links along to friends who are (but just because it's you, I shall say it's pretty darn good! ;) )