The Songfactors Choice Top Ten #290

1. It's Too Late - Derek & The Dominos (1970)

2. Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye (2011)

3. Angel - Aerosmith (1987)

4. Hold On - Alabama Shakes (2012)

5. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz (2005)

6. Easy Loving - Freddie Hart (1971)

7. Sweet Pea - Amos Lee (2006)

8. Someday Someway - Marshall Crenshaw (1981)

9. Round And Round - Perry Como (1957)

10. Soulful Strut - Young-Holt Unlimited (1968)

Very tough week, really great songs here...I had to leave many off (including Miss Summer :( ). How do the rest of you feel about 3 nominations? I like it, Ben likes it .... is this something we might keep, or do you think it's too much to do 3 every week? ? Let us know your thoughts.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like 2 nominations with a longer nominating period for more people to participate. I think 3 is too many.

The only reason we had only 21 nominations after 3 days was not everyone was around during the nomination period to nominate.

When the deadline was extended, they showed up and nominated. We went from 11 players to 17.

We would have had 34 nominations with just 2 each.

Not everyone has time to be on the site every day or two. I noticed some only come online once or twice a week and they often miss nominating.

Extending the nomination period and keeping the nominations at 2 would give everyone plenty of time to nominate and still bring in enough nominations to choose from.

I find having to listen to almost 50 songs is very time consuming and even more time consuming trying to pick out and numerate the top ten songs that I like best while leaving so many I also like off the list.

Also, since I'm gonna nominate 3 songs I like best, I'm also going to vote for my 3 songs, which only leaves 7 songs to vote for from others instead of the usual 8.

I like the idea of 3, I upped it to that many when I was the one doing the vote counting, though I realize how much of a burden it is on the person who has to count the votes. I also agree with Brad's idea.

On a side note, I would like to do a Songfactor's Choice soon, it's been a while.

Maybe I'm just a total noob when it comes to web browsing but I've usually got a hard time watching vids when fishies only put up 2 noms. Picking tunes for the Top 10 is tough for me already.

I already know that I won't be able to watch this current list of noms in time to vote this week and if it were 3 noms every week I'd vote less than 1/2 the time. Too many videos and too many choices (I'm too indecisive) :tongue:

Edited by Guest

1. You Can't Sit Down - The Dovells

2. Round And Round - Perry Como

3. Tomorrow's City - Brian Auger's Oblivion Express

4. It's Too Late - Derek & The Dominos

5. Someday Someway - Marshall Crenshaw

6. Too Many People - The Hollies

7. Get On Up - The Esquires

8. Sweet Pea - Amos Lee

9. Soulful Strut - Young-Holt Unlimited

10. Sinnerman - Nina Simone

1. The Remedy ~ Jason Mraz

2. She's So High ~ Tal Bachman

3. Somebody That I Used To Know ~ Gotye

4. I'm Yours ~ Jason Mraz

5. Someday Someway ~ Marshal Crenshaw

6. One ~ Nilsson

7. America ~ Neil Diamond

8. Halfway Gone ~ Lifehouse

9. Sweet Pea ~ Amos Lee

10. We Are Young ~ Fun Feat. Janelle Monae

1. One - Harry Nillson (1971)

2. Sixteen Saltines - Jack White (2012)

3. Sunshine Highway - Dropkick Murphys (2005)

4. Hold On - Alabama Shakes (2012)

5. Assassin - Muse (2006)

6. Sink The Pink - AC/DC (1985)

7. Heading Out To The Highway - Judas Priest (1981)

8. Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye (2011)

9. We Are Young - Fun feat. Janelle Monae (2011)

10. Home Sweet Home - Motley Crue (1985)

sfc1a-1.png

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #290

1. Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye (2011)

2. One - Harry Nillson (1971)

4. Highway Song - Blackfoot (1979)

5. Saved By The Bell - Robin Gibb (1970)

6. Sixteen Saltines - Jack White (2012)

7. It's Too Late - Derek & The Dominos (1970)

9. You Can't Sit Down - The Dovells (1963)

10. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz (2005)

:headphones:

I like the idea of 3 and here's why?

On the occasions when I've nominated, I have not always voted for my own songs. On those times when I HAVE voted for my own songs, i typically place them where I feel they should be on the list, which is rarely in the #1 spot, unless the song happens to have an absolute favorite of mine.

I like to have 3 nominations, because I like the variety. To make things more diverse, perhaps it could be stipulated that each song comes from a different decade? Or the third one comes from a different decade than the others? That way there will always be some new and some older.

But then, I only am able to participate when I have time, which is seldom lately. :puppyeyes:

Woohoo, love it! Gotye has an amazing song there, I believe when the year is over it will have been bigger than Adele's biggest hit last (this?) year, which is really saying something. It didn't make it the first time it was nominated, too new I guess. Anyway, great ten, and Someday Someway making it in is a real surprise. :thumbsup:

I like the 3rd nomination for the variety it offers, but it does take more time both for listening, and for vote counting. I'm in a quandary.... here are my thoughts:

There are good reasons for going either way .... For a long time we always had an average of 50 nominations, with 25 or so players. That number has dwindled to and average of 15 players, sometimes as low as 12. This week it was 11. So 3 noms made sense. And yes, leaving the voting open longer enabled more people to play, but those are not people that will necessarily play every week, ... Shawna, Farin, Bluesboy, Liberal and even Joe, don't always have the time to play every week.

Since we're losing Tim, and it's summertime, with vacations and life in general happening, how about we just play it loose for a while? We'll do the special, as requested by Kenne (I didn't forget), we'll give 3 noms a try some weeks, and we'll try changing the time frame up a bit. After we've tried it both ways, we'll decide what works best.

As far as time frame, I'm thinking about opening on Sunday as usual, beginning voting on Thursday (most people vote in the first two days), but letting the voting remain open & announcing the ten on the following Monday. That way people can both nominate for the new one, and see the final results for the previous week on the same day. That would give the entire weekend for listening for those that have a hard time through the week. Also gives me the weekend for counting the votes.

sfc1a-1.png

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #290

1. Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye (2011)

2. One - Harry Nillson (1971)

4. Highway Song - Blackfoot (1979)

5. Saved By The Bell - Robin Gibb (1970)

6. Sixteen Saltines - Jack White (2012)

7. It's Too Late - Derek & The Dominos (1970)

9. You Can't Sit Down - The Dovells (1963)

10. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz (2005)

:headphones: