Obama supports gay marriage

Farin

I think that's dangerous. The US is too conservative (compared to all other countries except maybe China) for gay marriages nationwide. Let each state handle it individually. Obama could be signing his own walking papers.

The only people who care that violently whether gays can get married or not were not going to vote for Obama anyway. He's not going to lose as many votes as he'll now gain, because I can see a sh!t-ton of people who were on the fence with him before, now committed to voting for him.

Also, if this country elects Mitt Romney because Obama supports gay marriage, we should just go ahead and let the Brits take us back as a colony, because we no longer deserve to be an independent nation.

How can an enlightened, intelligent man like Obama not be supportive of gay marriage? Try looking at it this way: eliminate religious/spiritual considerations and employ only the "do unto others" sensibility. Radical? Perhaps. Christ-like? So I've heard.

To me it's so simple really. Though maybe not so for homophobes.

Votes? He's got mine.

How can an enlightened, intelligent man like Obama not be supportive of gay marriage? Try looking at it this way: eliminate religious/spiritual considerations and employ only the "do unto others" sensibility. Radical? Perhaps. Christ-like? So I've heard.

To me it's so simple really. Though maybe not so for homophobes.

Votes? He's got mine.

:bow:

Two days ago, a foreign country (China) nationalized a U.S. bank for the first time in American history, the economic news - from all sources (except the W.H.) - was greater sustained downturn, the number of available jobs (job pool) decreased again and the news came from the Mortgage Bankers Association that resale value of your home just took another hit; but national leadership has deemed that now is the time to debate this issue, so essential to the well-being of all Americans. (Excuse my sarcasm, but does this not seem to be pandering for the sake of distraction?)

God help the land of my birth ....

as I just wrote in another thread, what about couples that begin as male/female marriages, and then one elects to have a sex-change operation and they're suddenly female/female - but still married and in a state where gay marriage is illegal?

Can on the floor... worms everywhere.

Two things:

1. Is this some sort of surprise that Obama (a democrat) supports gay marriage? Like, was there a point where people were saying "You know, I don't know if that Obama guy supports gay marriage..."

2. I've said this to many Christians and I firmly believe it's true. Gay marriage doesn't hurt the religious aspect of marriage any more than say, two atheists getting married. Does this mean we should pass a law stating that only devout Christians should get married? No, that'd be ridiculous. But for some reason, gays get special infringements on their rights. It makes no sense to me. It's sad that my fellow Christians can't seem to separate their religion from their politics.

Two things:

1. Is this some sort of surprise that Obama (a democrat) supports gay marriage? Like, was there a point where people were saying "You know, I don't know if that Obama guy supports gay marriage..."

You may correct me if I'm wrong, but I never doubted that this has been his personal opinion for quite some time, it was only about when he was going to announce it as a official political statement as well...

You know, I couldn't care less who gets married to who, I'm much more concerned about how Obama (or any president) plans to reduce the deficit, or reduce spending as a whole. Maintain guaranteed social security and medicare for our elderly. Things like that. Maybe just a tad bit more important.

But like I said, what Obama (or anybody thinks) doesn't matter to me. It's America. If you are NOT infringing on another liberties, uhm... have at it.

But as for helping in in an election...

Reuters/Ipsos online polling data from 2012 indicates that more than half of registered voters under age 35 think same-sex marriage should be allowed, while just 22 percent of that age group think it should be illegal.

That level of support for same-sex marriage is more than any other age group, the poll found.

The question was asked of 7,616 registered voters under age 35 between January 1 and May 3, and the results have an accuracy of plus or minus 1.3 percentage points.

But here the problem I see...

The continuing Reuters/Ipsos online poll showed that only 30 percent of blacks thought same-sex marriage should be legal - 9 points lower than the national average. One-third of the blacks who were polled said they thought gay marriage should be illegal.

Despite their views, blacks remain likely to vote enthusiastically for Obama, analysts said.

"African Americans are against gay marriage, by and large," said William Galston, political analyst at the Brookings Institution. "But at the same time, it is my hypothesis that the pride that African Americans feel in having an African American in the White House is much stronger than the influence of this one issue.

"Socially conservative African Americans are going to be prepared to say, 'We disagree with Mr. Obama on this one,'" but it's not a deal-breaker.

In a head-to-head matchup against Romney, about 81 percent of blacks who were against gay marriage said they would vote for Obama, compared with about 5.4 percent who would back Romney.

About 90 percent of blacks who favor gay marriage would vote for Obama, according to Reuters/Ipsos polling after Romney became the clear Republican nominee, between early April and May 3.

We'll have to wait and see.

It's the "slippery slope" logical fallacy. The statement that legalizing gay marriage will lead to people marrying whatever they want.

The argument is that what's to stop a person from saying "I'm in love with this turtle and I want to marry it and that's my right". It's a logical fallacy, it's sensationalism and it's lazy journalism.

http://mediamatters.org/research/200905120006

I think the point he was trying to make was, if you open the portal, and say, HEY, who are "you" to limit it to just gays? If marriage is redefined beyond tradition, then why not two wives, or three, or ten? Why not (as absurd as it is) allow one to marry an animal? I mean, if "all bets are off"? Why is okay to open then portal for *only* "one" additional change to traditional marriage instead of allowing ALL possibilities. Is it a free country or not? What do you care what someone else does? I mean as long as it doesn't "infringe" on your freedoms? Your liberty?

I say, do whatever you want. That's why they call it FREEDOM!!

Well... I get why he made the statement. But why did he use turtles? that was too random for my brain.

animals cannot marry because they don't have the ability to reason :crazy: They can't stand up and say "I do."

Unfortunately, there's a whole lotta humans out there with just the opposite problem...

I know, I know, nitpicking. :grin: :grin:

The only "right" and "reason" an animal has is to taste delicious once it's cooked and has some seasoning and sauces added to its ribs. Getting married should be the least of its worries. Peeps need to quit being ignorant and let me marry those 20 million illegal aliens at the same time :beatnik:

The only "right" and "reason" an animal has is to taste delicious once it's cooked and has some seasoning and sauces added to its ribs. Getting married should be the least of its worries. Peeps need to quit being ignorant and let me marry those 20 million illegal aliens at the same time :beatnik:

Isn't this whole "slippery slope" argument the exact same that people in the past used to oppose interracial marriage with, or that of people who follow different religions?

Nothing against gay marriage (though in my part of the issue is still gay-acceptance) but I'm always surprised when developed nations concentrate on it so much and rarely speak of things like drug problems, domestic violence, homelessness, and racial conflict etc. which (to me) are matters of life and death that will affect future generations etc.

Gay marriage, yes, sure, but if this was my job, it wouldn't be tops on my to-do list. I'll understand better if you can explain to me how it might kill people - any people - to not be able to get married. Seems to me a luxurious political issue - one you turn to when all the ones that could potentially kill people have been sorted.

See, like the drama around universal healthcare (is that what you call it?) I understand - life and death.