Roger Hodgson (Supertramp)

Carl

Dan had a great talk with Supertramp founder Roger Hodgson, composer of "Give a Little Bit," "The Logical Song," "Take the Long Way Home," and many of their other classics.

The songs have been around forever, but Roger hasn't been playing them that long: he left Supertramp in 1983 and spent a lot of time raising his kids, but now he's back on the road.

I thought Dan did a great job of finding out how Roger feels about these songs both when he wrote them and today. Roger has plenty of newer music, but he cherishes the hits, as he knows how much they mean to people. His perspective is refreshing: not only does he continue to play his favorite songs, but he does so with feeling.

This was particularly gratifying, as Roger's songs have always been very popular around here. Songfacts was built on the idea that you could find out what's going on in a song like "Breakfast In America" and hear it in a new way.

Roger Hodgson interview

• 4 weeks later...

A great band, I saw them 6 times, and the fact that they don't talk trash about each other just shows about being in a band. I don't agree about the pop songs...Maybe a few of the early stuff...But the first album was not pop, and some of the last stuff was great (Free As A Bird) (Brother You Were Bound) Just great music...another great interview... :thumbsup: