Hits With a S-P-E-L-L-E-D Word

Carl

We put together some Songfacts on a 1991 hit called P.A.S.S.I.O.N. by Rythm Syndicate (yes, that's really how they spelled it).

There are some hit songs with titles that are initialisms or acronyms, like "P.Y.T." or "S.Y.S.L.J.F.M." but I can't find anything where the song title is the spelling of word. Are there any out there?

BTW- this Rythm Syndicate song gets a lot more interesting when you realize their singer discovered Rihanna.

"T.A.I.L." - Into Another :rockon:

#39 U.S. Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart (1996).

Album: Seemless (1995)

"C-I-T-Y" - John Cafferty and The Beaver Brown Band

#18 U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart (1985)

#9 U.S. Billboard Top Rock Tracks chart (1985) (now known as Mainstream Rock Tracks chart)

Album: Tough All Over (1985)

"R.O.C.K." - Garland Jeffreys

#25 U.S. Billboard Top Tracks chart (1981) (now known as Mainstream Rock Tracks chart)

Album: Escape Artist (1980)

Carl,

Do you also want songs with titles that are an acronym for something else but also spell out a word?

Such as:

"F.I.N.E." - Aerosmith :rockon:

#14 U.S. Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart (1990) (now known as Mainstream Rock Tracks chart)

Album: Pump (1989)

The letters stand for: F*cked-Up, Insecure, Neurotic, Emotional

They also spell the word FINE.

"J.A.R." - Green Day :rockon:

#1 U.S. Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart (1995) (now known as Alternative Songs chart)

#22 U.S. Billboard Airplay chart (1995)

Album: Soundtrack:Angus (1995)

The letters stand for: Jason Andrew Relva

They also spell the word JAR.

Carl said he is looking for Hits With a S-P-E-L-L-E-D Word.

Parton's version of D-I-V-O-R-C-E was not a hit but Tammy Wynette's version was.

Nat King Cole's song was not a hit.

Pulp's song was not a hit.

Blur's song was not a hit.

Parton's version of D-I-V-O-R-C-E was not a hit but Tammy Wynette's version was.

Nat King Cole's song was not a hit.

Pulp's song was not a hit.

Blur's song was not a hit.

Not to worry guys, I think this is quite an interesting topic so I am going to expand on the thread and think it'd be nice to hear any songs following the theme (hits or not) :)

Sure Carl won't mind the thread hijack ;)

OK, thanx for correcting. I know the song, but I'm not an expert at female country singers. A matter of taste....

OK, thanx for correcting. I know the song, but I'm not an expert at female country singers. A matter of taste....

Yeah, I guess it is.

For me, I like Wynette's version better.

I think Dolly's voice on her version sounds like the chipettes from the movie, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel.

Wynette's version was a #1 country hit for three weeks.

The non-hits look like the most famous songs, which is what makes this kind of weird. Most people know "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" and "L-O-V-E," but not "P-A-S-S-I-O-N," which looks like it was the biggest Hot 100 hit (#2). Looks like we have a story here.