What To Choose?

RockyRaccoon

So as I'm continuing on in life, my fiancee and I have been looking for an apartment or condo to live in. Because of this, we've been going through some stuff to see what to keep and get rid of, due to the fact that since we'll be living in an apartment or condo and there won't be much storage space.

Over the years, I've collected a lot of vinyls. Like a lot. Roughly 200-300 records. Unfortunately, I'm only going to be able to take a handful to the new apartment/condo with me. Thus I am faced with an interesting decision in that I have to pick, out of a massive collection of albums, what albums I want most.

So I pose a question: if you could only keep a handful of records, which ones would you choose? Now, I have a music library on an external hard drive that's roughly 300 GB of music, so it's not like I can't listen to any of this music. But there's something I particularly love about vinyls. So which albums would you keep that sound best on vinyl?

I believe I know a few for sure: all of the Pink Floyd albums I have, probably "Fragile" by Yes, and "Magical Mystery Tour" and "Sgt. Peppers".

Any others?

Many, many moons ago, one of the worst days of my life, that I still regret to this day, was getting rid of my album collection because of lack of space. Try and find a way to get rid of something ELSE and ALWAYS KEEP the RECORD COLLECTION!!

:cool:

I wasn't able to keep my albums in the limited space of my bachelor pad, so I keep my vinyl collection @ my folks house. They have tons of room and don't mind helping out. My advice: find someone you trust to hold them for you. Soon you'll end up in a large house and can retrieve your collection. :grin:

My thoughts too, been there done that - you will regret getting rid of them, and you will never be able to replace them. Find a friend or family member that will store them for you, and take the few that you really cherish and/or listen to with you to the apartment.

Rocky, in the early 80s I had some 5.000 vinyls I stored at my parent's place. When I left to live in a small appartment I put some 2.000 in boxes and I sold the rest. I only kept the music I loved.

Never get rid of those vinyls you love. Ask a friend, put them in boxes, ask your parents, but don't get rid of them.

Now I have room for my LPs but I've only 1.000 left. I wish I could have kept them all.

So as I'm continuing on in life, my fiancee and I have been looking for an apartment or condo to live in. Because of this, we've been going through some stuff to see what to keep and get rid of, due to the fact that since we'll be living in an apartment or condo and there won't be much storage space.

Over the years, I've collected a lot of vinyls. Like a lot. Roughly 200-300 records. Unfortunately, I'm only going to be able to take a handful to the new apartment/condo with me. Thus I am faced with an interesting decision in that I have to pick, out of a massive collection of albums, what albums I want most.

So I pose a question: if you could only keep a handful of records, which ones would you choose? Now, I have a music library on an external hard drive that's roughly 300 GB of music, so it's not like I can't listen to any of this music. But there's something I particularly love about vinyls. So which albums would you keep that sound best on vinyl?

I believe I know a few for sure: all of the Pink Floyd albums I have, probably "Fragile" by Yes, and "Magical Mystery Tour" and "Sgt. Peppers".

Any others?

I'd only keep the rare and hard-to-find stuff because they are rare and hard-to-find; the rest you can find anywhere and everywhere. I'd take the records that are in the best condition to a record store for resale and the chud left behind goes to Goodwill.

I have a bunch of books, DVDs, and CDs. There's no way I'm gonna be wasting my time over stuff when spending time with family is on the line :beatnik:

Well I'm doing what I can to keep all the records, though I'll still have to choose what to keep at the new place. Thankfully, we still have to find a place so I have time.

There are a few records I have that I'm not totally attached to. Ones that relatives kind of said "you like records right? Take mine" that I don't particularly care about (i.e. the Donny Osmond records).

I know for sure I'm keeping my valuable records. I have a first edition of "Meet The Beatles", a copy of "Some Girls" with all the faces in it and the banned cover of Mötley Crüe's "Shout At The Devil". And I'm keeping my old 78s.

I'll see what I can do to keep as many as I can...

I had a collection of about 350 albums.

I took out and kept the ones that were rare (albums that had their covers censored on a future printing) and also albums that are now out of print and hard to find and I sold the rest at a local flea market for $2 each.

All my albums were in very good condition.

You wouldn't believe how quickly they sold and how many people were ecstatic about finding them.

They were like little kids in a candy store.

I prolly could have gotten more money for them if I felt like listing each one individually on ebay for sale but I didn't have the patience to do that.

They do have record album shipping cartons for sale online for that.

I would hang on to anything that you really care about - not necessarily just the rare ones. If you have as many as you said, it's not the finding them that is tough (unless they are rare, out of print, etc) - the deal is with having a family, you will never have the cash that doesn't need to be spent on "the family" to do the replacing. I know how this stuff works. :P

I have given all my vynil Long Play records to an enthousiastic collector. Asked him to donate an amount for a charity. I had a recordplayer with an usb- connection, but I only digitalized 5LPS. Downloading in my country is no problem, before I knew it I had my all time favourites on the I-pod.

But I kept my Rolling Stones albums. They shaped my life and personality.

Similar dilemma but on a grander scale - my collection ran into the many thousands! :o

I had to prune it a little when I moved in with my true love so I had to be ruthless! I eventually got ri of about 25%. I contacted several charity shops but only one would collect.

I arranged for them to do aso and they sent some numpty around in his estate car after I told them it would take a van. OK, take two: no show! Take three, same guy, who took as much as he could! Take four, a van was arranged to pick them up but it never came - distressingly, it was Bin Night so teh dustmen took them and, probably, crushed them! :(:(:(