He Said/She Said Songs

Carl

Not sure if you've heard "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye (which is apparently pronounced Go-T-Yay instead of the much cooler sounding Gotcha), but it's one of those songs where the guy makes his case, and then the girl (an actual girl singer) makes hers. For instance, he sings:

"You didn't have to stoop so low, have your friends collect your records and then change your number."

and she retorts later in the song:

"I think of all the times you screwed me over, but had me believing it was always something that I'd done"

It got me thinking about other songs that do this, where the relationship drama is played out with both a man and woman singing their side. The best example I can think of is the Human League song "Don't You Want Me," where we hear the guy tell the girl that he made her a star and she better appreciate it, and she tells him to go screw.

What other songs fit this "He Said/She Said" style - we might have a new category here.

Leather and Lace -Stevie Nicks and Don Henley

Fairytale of New York - The Pogues and some Irish tart with a good voice

Jackson -Johnny and June Carter Cash

Love the Way You Lie -Eminem and Rhianna

Edited by Guest

Not sure if you've heard "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye (which is apparently pronounced Go-T-Yay instead of the much cooler sounding Gotcha)

It's pronounced exactly like the surname of designer Jean-Paul Gaultier, if that helps ;)

some Irish tart with a good voice

aka Kirsty MacColl, but awesome selection!

(she)

You're a bum,

You're a punk

(he)

You're an old slut on junk

Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed

(she)

You scumbag, you maggot

You cheap lousy faggot

Happy Christmas your arse

I pray God it's our last

Get Out of My House ~ The Streets feat. MC C-Mone

...pretty self explanatory, just listen to it

Je t'aime... Moin non plus ~ Serge Gainsbourgh feat. Jane Birkin

...don't know if this is enough drama, but at least "I love you - neither do I" implies some ;)

there are also some German songs I can think of, but I don't think you'd be very interested in those

Does the Meatloaf (Jim Steinman) tune "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" fit into this category?

Yes! Although I would like to hear her side of the story after Meat Loaf is "praying for the end of time." She's probably not too happy with him either, and wondering if that ring was worth it.

Yes! Although I would like to hear her side of the story after Meat Loaf is "praying for the end of time." She's probably not too happy with him either, and wondering if that ring was worth it.

I've often wondered if Steinman would ever write the woman's side to that song for "Bat Out Of Hell 2: Back Into Hell" ... I was disappointed when I bought the album to hear no such song. :(

Perhaps we should contact the great rock-opera songwriter/pianist and ask that he satiate my appetite :grin:

I'm sure Ellen Foley won't be called to do "Night Court" anytime soon so she can probably lend her vocals for one last rip into the big Meat! :laughing:

Don't Cry Joni - Conway & Joni Twitty

About a young man named Jimmy who's too old to be in a relationship with the girl next door that he's always known and been in love with. After she is of age and he comes back to town after it's been 5 years he's been gone, he finds out she married his best friend John.

"Don't You Want Me" - Human League

Not to mention "Human" by Human League

[Him] "I'm only human, of flesh and blood I'm made.

I'm only human, born to make mistakes.".

[Her] "I forgive you, now I ask the same of you. While we were apart, I was human too."

Edited by Guest