SF Fantasy Baseball VIII : 2012 Season

Kevin

I dumped Lincecum last week and went from 5th to 3rd. The guy loses every game and walks every batter. He blows. I would have tried to trade, but I didn't think anyone wanted an 0 - 989 pitcher with an era that looks like Bill Gates account balance. In case you can't tell I'm really pissed at Lincecum cuz I used a high draft on him and he's makin me look bad.:mad:

May he infect your team the way he was infecting mine! :jester:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dumped Lincecum last week and went from 5th to 3rd. The guy loses every game and walks every batter. He blows. I would have tried to trade, but I didn't think anyone wanted an 0 - 989 pitcher with an era that looks like Bill Gates account balance. In case you can't tell I'm really pissed at Lincecum cuz I used a high draft on him and he's makin me look bad.:mad:

May he infect your team the way he was infecting mine! :jester:

The underlying numbers tell me he's gonna turn it around.

Hopefully I'm right.

I have him in the points league, and been pretty disappointed so far ... however he is Tim Lincecum, and he did great things for me the past 2 years. I saw that he was available, but thought I'd take a chance on him in just the 1 league. Let's hope he does better going forward. ;)

Oh man , that sucks , Carole. :( Since big pitching day points often are better than a batter's , I alway leave my very best pitchers in an active spot rather than the bench if possible . So easy to overlook a start or forget to set up a day's roster sometimes .Unfortunately, I haven't got a single big name this season,so I don't need to worry as much this year . :laughing:

I like what Sammy has done in points to get himself into striking position : run up his innings pitched by picking up and ditching pitchers , and now settled back to see if his batters can keep him up there, while he lets his innings drop now (I think that's what he's doing ) . Good move to try if you are starting to feel like you are slipping out of reach . Lots of folks leave it too long or late . :thumbsup: So far though , Points is still a good race coming up to the all-star break with all still in -with a bit of luck naturally- and anything could happen .

Edited by Guest

Well , that 'best team on paper ' is starting to act that way , Phil .I think June has been your month with your bunch either leading the day or near the top on most of them so far.

I do have to thank you for dropping R.A Dickey though. ;) Got him at just the right time ,I think . Wonder how long that will last though -he is a Met , after all .Actually , without lucky pick ups that have performed surprisingly well , I'd be way back in the midst of things for sure . That's not usually how it goes , and little remains of my original draft . Knocking on some serious wood here !

Edited by Guest

Your welcome, Kevin. I blindly dropped him to get some outfielder, who quickly got hurt. Then Dickey goes nuts. I think Dickey might be the real deal all year. I'm waiting for the second half of the season. My bats will heat up. I hope. :susel:

I doubt his ERA will go up that much. I do believe he is due to regress some though.

Some interesting stats about R.A. Dickey for anyone who happens to be a fan of sabermetrics:

His ERA is 2.94, his FIP is 2.97 and his xFIP is 2.85 which tells me that his ERA is right about where it should be.

However, what makes me think he'll regress a bit eventually is the fact that his BABIP is .243, which is really low, and his LOB% is 81%, which is really high. His BABIP will go up and his LOB% will go down, which means there's a few not-so-great outings in the future for him.

That being said, his stuff is better. His knuckleball is one mph faster (which for a knuckleball, 77mph is pretty crazy) and he's throwing it way more than he has in the past, and throwing his fastball (which is not a very good pitch, only like 84 mph) way less (like roughly 9% less). He's also added a splitter, curveball and slider to his repertoire, giving him a greater variety of pitches. This explains why his K/9 is way way up, at a career high of 9.09 compared to a career average of 5.95. Also, he's walking way less (a career best 0.93 WHIP so far).

So in summary: Dickey has been getting a little lucky, but only a little. His stuff is good, he's legit, he's gotten better, and, while he will regress a bit as the year goes on, it won't be too drastic. I expect he'll get around 18 or 19 wins and end the year with an ERA around 3.00.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoy the All-Star break , everyone .We still have a good race going on in points with only a couple players going to have to turn it on a bit more to keep up . A good place to be at for the half-way point. With more players coming off the DL and some early slumpers hitting midseason form , should be a close race to the end and still lots of opportunities to move up in the standings . :thumbsup:

How's the head to head going at this point ?

Edited by Guest

btw... Rock-O... have you noticed who made a massive climb from near the cellar of the league to sit in 2nd place at the All-Star break? And all because I dumped Lincecum. I wish I could say that it was my hitting that did it, but I don't have any. Has Timmy won a game yet? :grin: (I'll be smug now because in a couple of months I'll be crying) :laughing:

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin, Can I have Dickey back? :)

Always a possibility,Phil. Seems the comments above about him have turned out to be partly accurate at least , but he still has had a couple quality starts ( and wins ) since the break. It seems , however , the Mets are beginning to fall apart now , so wins may be harder to get from hereon in .

Make me an offer. :D

Who's got Ichiro now , btw ? I'd be willing to trade and bet his performance as a Yankee now will pick up .

Edited by Guest