Monkees Singer Davy Jones Dead at 66

cyberjudge

From TMZ:

9:55 AM PST -- A rep for Davy tells TMZ the singer died from a heart attack this morning.

-------------------------------------------------------

Davy Jones -- lead singer of The Monkees -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hits including, "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed at BB King in NYC ... and he looked totally fine.

About seven years ago, I took my kids to Disneyland. That night, Davy Jones and Mickey Dolenz were performing. So, I went and saw the show. I just remember how much fun they had performing, and how the crowd was having such a great time. RIP Davy. Thanks for the show.

Edited by Guest

This is going to sound stupid, but when I heard this late last night I almost cried. The Monkees were huge for me, I was 12 in 1968 at the height of their fame. The show, the music, the individuals were so much a part of my life ..... and half the wall space in my bedroom was covered with pictures of Davy Jones ripped from Tigerbeat magazine (and others). Jones really was a true talent, and he will be missed by an entire generation. :(

This is going to sound stupid, but when I heard this late last night I almost cried. The Monkees were huge for me, I was 12 in 1968 at the height of their fame. The show, the music, the individuals were so much a part of my life ..... and half the wall space in my bedroom was covered with pictures of Davy Jones ripped from Tigerbeat magazine (and others). Jones really was a true talent, and he will be missed by an entire generation. :(

Not stupid at all; The Monkees meant a great deal to those of us of a certain age. Listen to this track called You and I...about being a Pop Star and how fleeting it is....BTW, the guitar player is Neil Young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6cpo_5lMWs

I love The Monkees. I heard on the radio today that Davy actually played the drums but it was decided that because he was so short (5'3"), Mickey Dolenz would be a better fit behind the drum kit.

He seemed like a very likeable fellow and it's too bad that he passed away at such a relatively young age.

R.I.P. Davy!!