Deep Purple

CanAm

I saw the veteran hard rockers last night and I give the concert a 7/10. On the positive side, Steve Morse is an amazing guitarist. Even though, occasionally, the excessive volume made it difficult to appreciate his virtuosity, he made my jaw drop several times. At one point, during Black Night, he did a fair imitation of in order, Billy Gibbons, Jeff Beck and Don Felder. It was an extended solo and he incorporated licks from La Grange, Mister You're A Better Man Than I and Hotel California.

The keyboard player,Don Airey, was a worthy replacement for Jon Lord. Ian Paice and Roger Glover were very solid.

On a negative note, Ian Gillan has lost a lot of his range and he has all the personality of a sponge. He would disappear frequently for minutes at a time and leave the heavy lifting to his talented bandmates. He also has quite the ego. I'm beginning to see why Richie Blackmore thinks the guy is a tool.

Overall, a pretty decent concert.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw Deep Purple last year. Steve Morse is a good guitar player and I was a little disappointed about them being so loud, and I saw them in the 70's, with Ian Gillian and with David Coverdale. Richtie Blackmore is a great guitarist but Steve Morse can pretty much take up the slack. And I say this as a big Deep Purple fan. I think they should have been in the Rock n Roll hall of fame along time ago. But you know how that goes :mad:

And you know whatever people say about playing guitar, it's all blues, Blackmore, Zappa, Hendrix,Gilmour, Morse, I could go on and on about great guitar players but it's all about the blues and amplification ...listen to Neil Young or Bob Dylan...it's all blues stuff just cranked up through an amp

Sorry about the long post,

Edited by Guest
I just miss people...friends and stuff