Why Are There No Hit Songs from Movies Anymore?

Carl

I miss the days when the biggest songs and movies were intertwined. The Best Song category at The Oscars used to be filled with the hits of the day - "Eye Of The Tiger" battling it out with "Up Where We Belong."

Now, the category is barely breathing. This year, there are just two entries, and neither is anywhere near a hit.

The movies themselves might be to blame - Elton John did a song for a film this year, but Gnomeo and Juliet ain't The Lion King.

Why do you think movies don't break hit songs these days?

There were plenty in the '80s and '90s but only a small handful in the '00s.

A few hits from the '00s are:

2008: Slumdog Millionaire

"Jai Ho! (You Are My Destiny)" - A.R. Rahman & the Pussycat Dolls

2004: Spider-Man 2

"Vindicted" - Dashboard Confessional

2002: 8 Mile

"Lose Yourself" - Eminem

2002: Spider-Man

"Hero" - Chad Kroeger

Eminem's song is the biggest hit ever to be written for a film.

I think Edna's right.....with YouTube, Myspace and even TV shows, musicians don't need movies to sell their music anymore.

Also, the category is for an original song written for the movie, and most movies now don't use songs written for the movies. It seems like mostly musicals or cartoons have original songs.

I used to own many movie soundtracks, so I miss those days myself.

Edited by Guest

I'm with Edna and Jenny on this one.

I remember (but not proud of) owning soundtracks from movies like "Fast Times At Ridgemont High", "The Breakfast Club" , etc... There were good tunes by good bands (at the time) but now the movies are not a medium needed to put your music out there. It's all about original score.

I can understand how some songs are associated with the cheesy 80's montages, but what about back when a new song was the theme of the movie? Like "Mrs. Robinson" and "The Graduate" or "Everybody's Talkin" and "Midnight Cowboy"?

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again, an original song written specifically for a movie. The one I remember most recently was "Falling Slowly" by The Swell Season for the movie "Once".