The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #276

Lucky

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Beverly Hills" - Weezer (2005)

"Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies*" - Weird Al Yankovic (1989)

(Don't forget the asterisk after Hillbillies, "...because the lawyers told us that had to be the name. Those wacky lawyers!")

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Here 'ya go, Hillbillie Sammy.

Is that you at the beginning of the Weezer video with those girls by your side?

"Beverly Hills" - Weezer (2005)

"Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies*" - Weird "Al" Yankovic (1989)

Mova-Mova-Movie Stars :laughing:

Thanks for the links, Brad.

As for the Beastie Boys....In my opinion, they don't care for their first album because - it's obvious - they sold out, and they realize that. They gave up their original ideals as musicians to make a quick buck. I have nothing against that, but they shouldn't discredit it either.

When they first started out, the Beasties were a hard rock - almost hardcore rock band. They gave that up because some producer told them "Rap is where it's at now, boys. Forget about the talent and the artistry and make some big money now."

They went with it, and they've been following that recipe ever since. They have added some elements of their original vision into their music, but to the public and their biggest fans, they are still a RAP group. I don't like rap, but I do like the Beastie Boys (to a degree).

Now, I'm not saying that they should play all their most recognized songs at every concert they play, because that repetition gets extremely boring for the hardcore fans. But they shouldn't completely remove it from their shows either.

As a huge Stones fan, I tend to get sick of hearing "Satisfaction" and "Tumbling Dice" at just about every frickin' concert I go to. But these songs do bring the crowd to their feet every time they're played. (Damn newbies!) I want to hear the more obscure tunes - the better tunes - like "Monkey Man", "Hand of Fate", "Sister Morphine", but I also want to hear "Satisfaction" once in a while....and "Jumpin' Jack Flash", of course, goes without saying.

Carry on.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :soapbox: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

When they first started out, the Beasties were a hard rock - almost hardcore rock band. They gave that up because some producer told them "Rap is where it's at now, boys. Forget about the talent and the artistry and make some big money now."

Nope, Sammy. That's not how it happened. They did start out as a hardcore punk band (check out Pollywog Stew and the 1995 EP Aglio e Olio if you're interested in that genre), but they didn't get into rap because some producer told them to, and that it would make them money. Back in 1983, they released the 12' single Cookie Puss, which was a fusion of the hardcore punk they were doing and rap/hip-hop. They had been huge rap fans since the late 70s when they were teenagers, but didn't make the switch over until the early 80s BEFORE they got signed to Def Jam and started working with Rick Rubin. There's a great interview that Adrock did a couple of years ago where he talked about the band's early days, and how they made that leap from hardcore punk to rap because (in part) they got tired of lugging all their gear around from gig to gig, and realized it would be easier to just bring two turntables and a mixer. Their shows were half punk/half rap, and they realized that they were really more into rap/hip-hop and decided that's what they wanted to do.

It had nothing to do with abandoning ideals or looking to make a quick buck. They're very competent musicians and if you listen to their instrumental work, it's really good. They play live instruments on the bulk of their records, even on the hip-hop tracks.

The funny thing about their first album, while it did put them on the map, they never got paid for it. They've seen not one dime from that album in 25 years. They had a huge falling out with Def Jam/Rick Rubin because they were tired of the image they perpetuated on that record, but the label wanted their follow-up album to essentially be Licensed To Ill pt. 2, and they weren't having that. So they got out of their contract and went to California, signing with Capitol Records. That's also in part to do with why they don't do the bulk of that album live anymore.

As a huge Stones fan, I tend to get sick of hearing "Satisfaction" and "Tumbling Dice" at just about every frickin' concert I go to. But these songs do bring the crowd to their feet every time they're played. (Damn newbies!) I want to hear the more obscure tunes - the better tunes - like "Monkey Man", "Hand of Fate", "Sister Morphine", but I also want to hear "Satisfaction" once in a while....and "Jumpin' Jack Flash", of course, goes without saying.

Carry on.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :soapbox: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Don't believe Ad-Rock. My version's closer to what REALLY happened.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

We do all know that "(You Gotta) Fight For You Right To Party" was written as a total joke right?

Pretty sure most people know that. It was supposed to be a spoof of songs like Smokin' In The Boys Room and I Wanna Rock. What they found hilarious was that the people they were making fun of didn't realize they were being made fun of. They didn't get that they were the butt of the joke.

I can't remember which interview it was, but they were on tour in Germany, and thought a great way to really piss off the crowd would be to come out wearing those satin boxer's robes to the Rocky theme, chanting "USA! USA! USA!" over and over again....only to discover their entire audience were US servicemen. That's when they realized the joke had run its course.

sfc1a-1.png

noms1.png

Ain't Got No Home - Clarence 'Frogman' Henry (1956)

Angel Eyes - Jeff Healey Band (1988)

Beverly Hills - Weezer (2005)

Blaze Of Glory - Jon Bon Jovi (1990)

Cara Mia - Jay and the Americans (1965)

Da Doo Ron Ron - The Crystals (1963)

Get Out Of Denver - Bob Seger (1974)

If I Die Young - The Band Perry (2010)

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Devo (1977)

I Love Myself Today - Bif Naked (2001)

I Remember - Yeasayer (2010)

It's All Over - The Broken Family Band (2006)

Jennifer Juniper - Donovan (1968)

Lady Of The Night, The - Donna Summer (1974)

Midnight - Red Foley (1952)

Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies* - Weird Al Yankovic (1989)

New York Groove - Hello (1975)

Nothing Ever Hurt Like You - James Morrison (2008)

People Who Died - Jim Carroll Band (1980)

Rag Doll - Aerosmith (1987)

Run To The Hills - Iron Maiden (1982)

Scentless Apprentice - Nirvana (1993)

Sea Is A Good Place To Think Of The Future, The - Los Campesinos! (2010)

Sittin' on a Fence - The Rolling Stones (1966)

(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me - Sandie Shaw (1964)

Wall Street Shuffle, The - 10cc (1974)

Y.M.C.A. - Village People (1978)

(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party) - Beastie Boys (1986)

Vote-light.png

1. Scentless Apprentice - Nirvana (1993)

2. Sea Is A Good Place To Think Of The Future, The - Los Campesinos! (2010)

3. Beverly Hills - Weezer (2005)

4. (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party) - Beastie Boys (1986)

5. Rag Doll - Aerosmith (1987)

6. Blaze Of Glory - Jon Bon Jovi (1990)

7. Run To The Hills - Iron Maiden (1982)

8. Da Doo Ron Ron - The Crystals (1963)

9. People Who Died - Jim Carroll Band (1980)

10. Get Out Of Denver - Bob Seger (1974)

Just to weigh in on the controversy (not trying to stir up trouble. I like that we have debates during the tens as long as we keep it civil), how come the Beasties named their short film from last year Fight For Your Right Revisited if they want to distance themselves from the song so much?

I honestly don't know, you'd have to ask Adam Yauch that, he directed it. While going through cancer treatments, no less. I believe I read Mike D said that they were making fun of the absurdity of the video, but that they still hold no affection for the song. Which is no different than other things they've said about it over the years. It was also the 25 anniversary of it, and I think they were taking advantage of the ability to do a piss-take. Like I said though, I didn't direct it, and I don't personally know any of them (Though it would be damn cool if I could call the Beasties my friends!). I'm a die-hard fan, but I'm not a personal contact. I can only go with what I know, which is stuff I've read/heard come out of their mouths.

1. Cara Mia - Jay and the Americans (1965)

2. Jennifer Juniper - Donovan (1968)

3. New York Groove - Hello (1975)

4. Blaze Of Glory - Jon Bon Jovi (1990)

5. Beverly Hills - Weezer (2005)

6. Rag Doll - Aerosmith (1987)

7. Da Doo Ron Ron - The Crystals (1963)

8. Wall Street Shuffle, The - 10cc (1974)

9. It's All Over - The Broken Family Band (2006)

10. I Remember - Yeasayer (2010)

1. Angel Eyes - Jeff Healey Band

2. I Love Myelf Today - Bif Naked

3. Rag Doll - Aerosmith

4. Run To The Hills - Iron Maiden

5. Blaze of Glory - Jon Bongiovi

6. Beverly Hills - Weezer

7. New York Groove - Hello

8. Jennifer Juniper - Donovan

9. Da Doo Ron Ron - The Crystals

10. Money For Nothing/ Beverly Hillbillies** - "Weird" Al Yankovic

1 - (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party) - Beastie Boys (1986)

2 - Run To The Hills - Iron Maiden (1982)

3 - Rag Doll - Aerosmith (1987)

4 - (There's) Always Something There to Remind Me - Sandie Shaw (1964)

5 - Blaze Of Glory - Jon Bon Jovi (1990)

6 - Scentless Apprentice - Nirvana (1993)

7 - I Love Myself Today - Bif Naked (2001)

8 - If I Die Young - The Band Perry (2010)

9 - Wall Street Shuffle, The - 10cc (1974)

10 - Da Doo Ron Ron - The Crystals (1963)

Edited by Guest

1. Blaze Of Glory - Jon Bon Jovi (1990)

2. Angel Eyes - Jeff Healey (1988)

3. New York Groove - Hello (1975)

4. Rag Doll - Aerosmith (1987)

5. Cara Mia - Jay and the Americans (1965)

6. Nothing Ever Hurt Like You - James Morrison (2008)

7. If I Die Young - The Band Perry (2010)

8. Lady Of The Night, The - Donna Summer (1974)

9. Da Doo Ron Ron - The Crystals (1963)

10 Ain't Got No Home - Clarence 'Frogman' Henry (1956)

Honorable Mention: (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party) - Beastie Boys (1986)