The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten - Special Edition

Lucky

WELCOME TO THE...

sfc1a-1.png

Best New Releases of 2011

ALL MEMBERS OF SONGFACTS ARE MOST WELCOME TO PARTICIPATE. The greater the participation, the more diverse, and more representative our top ten list is. We'd like to invite everyone to help us select THE SONGFACTORS' CHOICE TOP TEN!

IT'S SIMPLE, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS:

* Nominate 2 of your favorite songs from 2011

* Remember, these special editions are not subject to the every song list .... nominate whichever songs you wish.

* When nominations close, choose your favorite Ten songs in order of preference from the Final Nominations and post them here. Points are allotted, 10 for your #1 song, 9 for #2, Etc. and our Top Ten is compiled from them. At the end of the voting period we'll announce The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten For this week.

Nominate Now ! :thumbsup:

:headphones:

man, it's hard to only choose two songs :P

in the end I decided on two rocking women:

The Words That Maketh Murder ~ PJ Harvey

My Country ~ tUnE-yArDs

but if anyone still needs some ideas [spoilerq:1]click here[/spoilerq]

[spoilera:1]Modern Art ~ The Black Lips

Down by the Water ~ The Decemberists

Ice Cream ~ Battles

Lonely Boy ~ The Black Keys

Holdin' On to Black Metal ~ My Morning Jacket

Soothe Me ~ Yuck

[/spoilera]

Someone nominated Moneygrabber earlier. Technically that song came out in 2010.

Technically you are correct, the album was released in 2010, and normally we go by the album release since not all the songs we nominate don't always make it as singles. The same holds true with Adele's album 21, released in 2010 - the song I nominated wasn't released as a single until Jan 2011. For the purposes of "Best New (single) release, I think we should go by the single release date (I think that's how the Grammy's work as well). Someone correct me if that doesn't seem right .... 'cause I've got a ton of other songs I could nominate. This has been my year for new music. ;)

Technically you are correct, the album was released in 2010, and normally we go by the album release since not all the songs we nominate don't always make it as singles. The same holds true with Adele's album 21, released in 2010 - the song I nominated wasn't released as a single until Jan 2011. For the purposes of "Best New (single) release, I think we should go by the single release date (I think that's how the Grammy's work as well). Someone correct me if that doesn't seem right .... 'cause I've got a ton of other songs I could nominate. This has been my year for new music. ;)

I take it Pumped Up Kicks isn't eligible then, it came out at the end of 2010, but charted during 2011.

No I think it is eligble. From wiki:

but from what I've read was mostly played on local independent radio or on Sirius Radio.

also from wiki:

In my opinion first commercial release = release year, maybe not officially, but for our purposes here. Anyone with a good argument otherwise is welcome to correct me, but that's how I would see it.

Some suggestions in case someone would like to nominate some good songs but you're drawing a blank on last year's songs.

[spoilerq:1]More 2011 singles[/spoilerq]

[spoilera:1]"When We Stand Together" - Nickelback

"Make It Stop (September's Children)" - Rise Against

"The Adventures Of Raindance Maggie" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

"Sunset In July" - 311

"Changing" - The Airborne Toxic Event

[/spoilera]