The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #275

Lucky

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Wikipedia, "Simon Frith identifies the origins of the power ballad in the emotional singing of soul artists, particularly Ray Charles and the adaptation of this style by figures such as Eric Burdon, Tom Jones and Joe Cocker to produce slow tempo songs often building to a loud and emotive chorus backed by drums, electric guitars and sometimes choirs. According to Charles Aaron, power ballads came into existence in the early 1970s, when rock stars attempted to convey profound messages to audiences" (Wikipedia)

Edited by Guest

** BRIEF TEMPORARY THREAD HIJACK **

Go to The SF Musical Power Couples to vote now for your favorite Musical Power Couples!

Even if you didn't nominate you are still welcome to vote! It's a Top Ten unlike any other - so visit now and participate in what is sure to be one of the year-end highlights on Songfacts!!

:grin: :grin: :headphones:

Edit:

forgot to mention:

anyone that voted before last night, there's a new addition to the list (I missed it...) so you can go back and edit your votes if you'd like. :)

^^ Yeah, what she said ^^ ..... DO IT! :thumbsup:

As far as clarifying the intent of the Hair Band/Power Ballad theme goes ... I meant Hair Bands OR Power Ballads not just power ballads by hair bands. See the difference? Think big Arena stuff. There are huge power ballads (in my opinion) by groups that aren't necessarily hair bands. Aerosmith comes to mind, and even the aforementioned (but maybe unlikely :D ) REO. On the reverse side, there are huge songs by 80's Hair Bands like those described by pink, that aren't necessarily power ballads.

I wanted us to have a mix, my thinking being that 30 big ballads would end up being pretty sappy by the time you've listened to all of them, and lets face it, just songs by hair bands opens us up to a lot of mediocrity. So for instance what you could do is nominate 1 of each, a huge power ballad, and a huge hair band rocker.

When I hear "power ballads", I think hair metal. So bands like Poison, Whitesnake, Ratt, Dokken, Stryper, Winger, Great White, Warrant, Mr. Big, Motley Crue....think 80s MTV with lots of hairspray, makeup, and spandex.

^ This is a perfect description of Hair Metal, but I also believe this topic could include bands like KISS, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, etc. So your nominations are more of an either or thing. We wanted there to be a bit of a mix available to vote from. Hope that makes some sense .... :P

sfc1a-1.png

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #275

1. Lonely Boy - The Black Keys (2011)

2. Ain't Nothin' To Me - Johnny Winter (1973)

3. Big Girls Don't Cry - The Four Seasons (1962)

4. Silver, Blue & Gold - Bad Company (1975)

5. We're Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister (1984)

6. Breaking The Law - Judas Priest (1980)

7. Misirlou - Dick Dale (1962)

8. Stealin' - Uriah Heep (1973)

9. Don't Ask Me Questions - Graham Parker & The Rumour (1978)

10. Is This Love? - Whitesnake

:headphones:

Edited by Guest
corrected #10 to Whitesnake from Chicago