Brian Wilson reuniting with Beach Boys for new album, tour in 2012

Mike

Beach Boys fans have been saying for years: Wouldn't it be nice if Brian Wilson would reunite with the rest of the band.

Well, that's about to happen.

The troubled genius, who last performed with the band in the mid-'90s, is certainly the most significant ingredient to the Beach Boys' 50th anniversary plans. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame group, one of the most beloved acts in pop music history, has announced that it will record a new studio album as well as tour in 2012.

The trek will be a 50-date international tour, kicking off in April at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. No other dates have yet been announced.

The tour marks a half-century since the release of the Beach Boys' debut, 1962's "Surfin' Safari." Besides Wilson, the reunion features early/founding members Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and David Marks.

Both Wilson and the Beach Boys (led by Love) have remained active, though separately, on the road in recent years, performing '60s surf-rock favorites for fans at wineries, theaters and festivals. Their reunion certainly marks one of the big stories in popular music for 2012.

"This anniversary is special to me because I miss the boys and it will be a thrill for me to make a new record and be on stage with them again," Wilson said.

Copyright © 2011 - San Jose Mercury News