NBC Apologizes to Michelle Bachmann over Song

Carl

Hey, thanks for that quick follow up, Tim.

Although I did not see the exact quote you cited previously, I understand how you might formulate a disrespectful posture toward her stance on homosexuality, after reading this article in Rolling Stone.

But then, I have to suspect that vetting a conservative candidate through RS would not be unlike someone formulating their opinion of a Democrat candidate based on the "reporting" of Sean Hannity. Both are heavily agenda driven.

But no matter her position on any issue, NBC was correct to offer an apology to Bachmann for the manner in which she was greeted on Fallon's show, to which she was an invited guest.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/michele-bachmanns-holy-war-20110622?page=6

I read the remainder of that article and can't help feeling a little scared.

Not being overly familiar with these odd people you guys occasionally elevate to positions of influence, I have googled "Michele Bachmann quotes" to try and and substantiate for myself her position on gay teen suicides.

Whilst after 10 minutes of hard googling, I haven't yet found that specific quote, I have seen more than enough evidence that this individual is mad, bad and dangerous to indulge.

How the hell is she taken seriously by anyone other than the inmates of asylums? Can anyone explain this to a bewildered foreigner?

http://www.ranker.com/list/the-most-controversial-michele-bachmann-quotes/pilgrimsprogressive?page=3&format=BLOG&sortby=&sortdir=&limit=

was one of the best links I found, as all the quotes here are provable (attributable and viewable) and contextualised to some degree.

The Evangelical Christian base here isn't a majority, but it's possibly the most politically active group in the country. The Republicans have been courting them for a very long time by positioning themselves as "social conservatives". Basically, they are hard-liners when it comes to opposition to abortion and gay rights. And it just keeps getting crazier. Add this to the quintessentially American fallacy that all opinions are created equal and you get candidates like Bachmann, Perry, and Santorum who are taken seriously as potential leaders of the free world. That's the best explanation I can give to "bewildered foreigners". Trust me when I say that there are Americans who are just as bewildered and terrified as you are.

But don't worry about it. With any sort of election day awakening of progressive conscience among her people, America's Nobel-winning president will be re-elected, the Senate will remain Democrat dominated, the House will be re-taken by liberals and America will be right back on the good road again. These scary blips of conservative moral outrage surface from time to time, but the past is too far behind us for any politician - let alone a voting majority of citizens - to give it thought or voice, without sounding absolutely idiotic.

Rock on and don't give it another thought. :rockon: