The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #272

Lucky

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I think Magic Bus sucks, because I don't. I love The Who. Just that I don't necessarily enjoy it when the #1 song or even majority of the list is telegraphed from the start.

It's kind of like, "Why bother voting, if it's obvious what songs are going to make it?" It's why I don't nominate a lot of newer music, because there's about a 1% chance someone other than myself and 2 other people will vote for them.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just that I don't necessarily enjoy it when the #1 song or even majority of the list is telegraphed from the start.

Do you think this week's was that way? I don't agree at all, other than Magic Bus. And it's great that it was renominated this week and made it to #1. It's an iconic Who Song, and should be there, it somehow just missed out in the past. That's now been corrected. Same goes for The Ventures. Thanks to those who nominated them! :thumbsup:

As far as the rest of the list goes, I don't find it predictable at all. An instrumental by Traffic. Not a foregone conclusion, I don't think. A Laura Nyro song. Who could have predicted? I find most of the list to be that way.

The thing is, like Rocky said, a good song is a good song. I've been hearing some of these songs for 40+ years, some of them. And I do stop and think, does this song still make me feel like it did the first time? If the answer is yes, I've got to vote for it. I think most of us feel that way ... hence the results you see up there. ;) As far as new music goes, because I do listen to and enjoy a mix of styles, eras and genres, I listen each week, I vote when I like it, and I nominate now & then as well. But when I have nominated newer songs, I have the same result, they rarely get voted in. That's just the way it is, people vote for what they know. But along the way if I shared something new that I like, then it's all to the good, right?

Anyway, no complaints here, I think this is a great ten!

If what you say is true, and people only vote for what they know, what's the point in nominating anything other than classic rock songs? Seriously. I sometimes nominate older songs, and when I do, I try to stay away from the huge, mega, beat-to-death-on-the-radio bands, because there's enough of their songs already in the list. I re-nominated Bowie last week, and Laura Nyro and Billy Joe Royal this week. I wouldn't put the last two on the same page with the first one.

I don't vote for what I know, I vote for what I like. That does include about 85% of the time, voting for songs/artists I'd never heard or heard of, regardless of the year they came out. For example, that Rainbow song, Man on Silver Mountain? Never heard of the song or the band before, but I voted for it because I liked it. I've voted for Arcade Fire, Broken Bells, Muse, Fleet Foxes....all when I'd even heard a song of theirs before someone nominated them. If your song didn't make my list, it's not because I've never heard of it, or because I didn't even listen to it, it's because I just didn't care for it compared to the songs that did make it.

I don't know, maybe I'm just getting annoyed by how stagnant the TT is becoming, musically. It doesn't mean I'll stop participating, because I do enjoy seeing/hearing what other people bring to the table, but I'd like to see some variance going on every week.

I don't care if people vote for my songs or not either. I mean, I'd love it if they did, because that means they love the song(s) as much as I do, but I also don't obsess about it and sit and cry if they don't.

I'm speaking more in generalities, about how there's a lack of variance in the styles of music represented. They get nominated, but not voted for. I don't understand why. Does classic rock have to win out each and every time? Can't rap, blues, jazz, country, indie, folk, and disco make the cut some weeks? Swing even?

For me, the listening is more important than the voting. As long as I know people are at least giving my songs a chance and exposing themselves to something new, I don't care if they ultimately vote for it.

Agreed

This ten has elements of reggae (which almost never happens), motown, and r&b. I don't think we're doing so bad. But this is definitely a classic rock loving community. That's kind of just the way it is.

And agreed.

The reason I have continued frequenting this site (aside from the fact that I like the people here) is because it has exposed me to new music, music that I probably would never have given a chance before or, at the very least, had never had to opportunity to give a chance because I had never heard of it.

I used to be such a classic rock snob that my girlfriend used to hate it. I used to think modern music sucked. There was nothing good that was new. Then I stumbled upon this forum and I had an epiphany (thanks to, oddly enough, that thread we had on Lady Gaga forever ago) that music is music. And I f***ing love music.

I gave indie rock a chance because of this site. I gave weirdass electronic music a chance because of this site. I gave rap a chance because of this site. Without this site I would never have learned of Animal Collective, Fleet Foxes, I Am Kloot (thanks again Farin), the list goes on and on. And the way I learned about these bands was through the top ten. That's why the top ten is so important to me and that's why I make a point to participate in it. The listening is the most important part to me. The votes and all are just added fun ;)

[/speech]

:bow: :bow:

I've found a lot of music that I like, too, because of this site. Morning Benders is my most recent "discovery." :grin:

I gave up nominating anything by Roger, simply because nobody else has the great taste in music that I do ( ;) ) and nobody else ever voted for any of his stuff that I nominated. But in my humble opinion, he's the best of the best and I wish others could enjoy him as much as I do. But this way, the concerts are smaller and I can get a good place every time. :grin:

If a song made it to #1 in the Top Ten it's because most of the songfactors voted for it, that's how simple it is.

I listen to every song that's nominated. Sometimes I discover gems, sometimes they bore me.

I don't care if people vote for my songs or not either. I mean, I'd love it if they did, because that means they love the song(s) as much as I do, but I also don't obsess about it and sit and cry if they don't.

Pinkstones, I don't agree with you, you only comment about your songs making the Top and you only add facts for the songs you nominated. But then that's your right after all...

Yes, that's right, I say thank you to people who voted for my songs. That's called being polite. I appreciate them liking something that I like enough to vote it in, and I'm grateful to them for that. I also add facts for songs I nominate that make the TT, because I figure since I nominated it, I should be the one to add the facts for it. I thought those two actions went together. I also don't normally have the time to sit and compile facts for half a dozen other songs that made it in as well, so I do what little I can, and I don't expect someone to crawl down my throat about it.

Oh we do love one another! You're right, tis the season. This is what family do! ;)

Honestly this discussion happens every few months. everybody has their two cents, and are entitled to throw it in as long as it doesn't get ugly.

To clarify my position .... I nominate what I like regardless of vote potential. Or I nominate great songs from an artist's body of work that I feel constitutes a glaring omission (like Magic Bus). If I get votes, great, but that's not what guides my nomination. I like to share with my friends the music that I think is great. When I vote, I vote for songs that make me feel, simple as that. Classic, oldie, indie, rap, country, I will nominate or vote for them all, if they meet that simple criteria. To be perfectly honest it may take a few listens to really get that feel ... doesn't mean a new song isn't good, just means I can't vote for it. That's what I meant by people vote for what they know. You need the time to get that feel from a song sometimes. But you can bet that if I like it I will seek it out going forward, and hopefully others will as well.

sfc1a-1.png

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #272

1. Magic Bus – The Who (1968)

2. Glad - Traffic (1970)

3. Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell (1968)

4. Man On The Silver Mountain - Rainbow (1975)

5. Walk Don't Run - The Ventures (1960)

6. A Matter of Trust - Billy Joel (1986)

7. You're The First, The Last, My Everything – Barry White (1974)

8. Slider, The - T-Rex (1972)

9. Wedding Bell Blues - Laura Nyro (1966)

10. You Can Get It If You Really Want - Jimmy Cliff (1972)

:headphones: