Donnie Darko

GirdagFireskull

That was 2 hours of my life I will never get back. Truly, one godawful, pretentious, pseudo-intellectual crapfest. At least it should have had the decency to admit what it really was, but instead it keeps fomenting this undeserved cult following because of its supposed complexity and ability to challenge your mind. This is a case of another Emperor's New Clothes being pulled on cinematic audiences. What happened in the film? Donnie Dorko was a pill-popping kid with an acute case of paranoid-schizophrenia. In his mind, he thought he was able to see the future, but instead he was a thumbsucking weirdo whose parents couldn't handle the pressure of his mental illness (thus they readily agree with the doctor's recommendation of upping the dosage of his meds). That's it. Nothing more to it.

Dont let his opinion make you feel like you have no taste. I saw the movie when it came out which was around 98 i think. Anyway when I saw it I liked it. Can't remember too much from it except one of the dates were October 18 1988 and that was my birthday exactly. I think ive posted that before but i still find that pretty cool.

It was so good noone with a good opinion of it understands it :: and some don't even know the year it was released (this pretentious piece came out in 2001, btw - at the same time of Sept. 11). It does look like something that came out of the late 90s, though, since a lot of forgettable fare came from that time :beatnik:

Funny. Their take is that Donnie Dorko did in fact live in a parallel universe, but I had to go into the site to see that. I always assumed he was a paranoid schizophrenic and that it was all in his mind. Okay. Taking this into account:

The movie is about a crazy kid on meds who's crushed to death in his sleep by a jet engine. Alternately, he gets to live in a parallel universe for a couple of weeks in the moments before his strange demise. In this parallel universe, the apocalips**t will happen on Oct. 28. When it does happen, time and space are altered, wormholes are opened and stuff. This is why the engine from the passenger plane on that universe traveled back in time to crush crazy Dorko to death in the other universe. Oh man. I'm making it sound better than it really is ::

I'm a little late in this thread but tonight I watched Donnie Darko but was an hour late into the movie. All I can say is what I did see was very good and look forward to watching it from the beginning so I can know what the Sam hell it meant. ::

I always enjoy a good time travel movie, especially when I see it all.