Good Pop

Batman

My favorites are:

Oasis

Blur

Van Halen

I consider the first two to be more alternative & the later hard rock. Pop music is mostly commercial, lighter sounding than rock & heavily influenced from keyboards & mixing. I never really found myself interested in the genre, it seems to have always been the main focal point of mainstream though. Most pop acts have a 3 year run or so & then disappear, with rock, they last forever on classic rock radio. When's the last time a station played David Cassidy as opposed to the Rolling Stones?

When it comes to Pop, I think the creation of the product is more important than the delivery vessel (translation: songwriting and production are more important than performance).

Billy Joel is a great Pop singer because he writes great Pop songs. Give "Say Goodbye To Hollywood" to George Michael, Micheal Penn or Penn Gilette (you know, from the comedy duo Penn & Teller) and you'll get roughly the same result. Give these guys "Captain Jack," and it's a completely different song.

On the production end, Mutt Lange or Desmond Child can make slick Pop for just about anyone with some talent.

Anyway, here are some great Pop performers:

Cyndi Lauper

Hanson

David Bowie

Cheap Trick

Joan Osbourne

Paul McCartney

!!!????

Cheap Trick, and Bowie pop!!! Geez, maybe Bowie (newer stuff) but the almight Trick, never!!!!

Sorry.

Anyway, I hate pop, I can't stand it, especially the *dumb* pop, you know Brittney and the like. The ones that have 'zero' content to the lyrics, music, etc. etc.

Also I'm gonna have to rant at B-Man

Oasis!!!!!!!!!....................................................... (Scott sits at his keyboard mumbling things that would be very inappropriate to type)

:jester:

What, I like them! I just don't like all their attitude.

"I bloody (bleep)ing hate (bleep)ing music, its (bleep)ing awful!" Stuff like that, is what they say.

I consider the first two to be more alternative & the later hard rock. Pop music is mostly commercial, lighter sounding than rock & heavily influenced from keyboards & mixing. I never really found myself interested in the genre, it seems to have always been the main focal point of mainstream though. Most pop acts have a 3 year run or so & then disappear, with rock, they last forever on classic rock radio. When's the last time a station played David Cassidy as opposed to the Rolling Stones?

Well Pop means Popular, right, and Van Halen got high on the charts?

As already stated Billy Joel

Also:

Elton John

some Matchbox 20 (not all)

Nelly Furtado (her first album, Whoa Nelly)

Sheryl Crow

Maroon 5

Train

Fountains of Wayne

Usher

Prince

'80's stuff:

GoGo's

Cyndi Lauper

Duran Duran

I know, a lot of these artists fall into other genres, but all of these have been played on Top 40 radio, and I gather that is what is called pop