Sinead O'Connor Might Need Some Help

Carl

Whenever Sinead O'Connor pops up in the news, which has a been a lot lately, the stories are usually framed in a way to reinforce the idea that she is crazy, mad, daft or any other translation of insane. Operating without a publicist and threatening to go off the rails, she makes reckless statements - much easier to do with social media these days - that are twisted and amplified to get attention.

Stateside, this has been happening to Courtney Love - whose talent I would place about equal to O'Connor's - for quite a while, but Courtney seems to feed off the energy. Sinead appears to be spiraling into a nasty funk, and is literally calling out for help. From her blog:

Since my first record all that has happened is I get treated like a crazy person, in a world where crazy is used as a stick with which to beat someone. Its very nasty, not that people might wonder am I crazy, but that believing me to be they would hurt me rather than help.

Her latest rant was against the Pope, and the story made headlines as "Sinead says she'll shoot the Pope". Of course, she's not going to shoot the Pope, and no reasonable journalist would say so. But it's much easier to publish a shocking headline than to examine the state of Catholicism in Ireland and why the Pope would face opposition there today. Many Irish, including our recent interview subject Henry McCullough, are fed up with the church and the way they handled the atrocities that have been revealed over the last few years. O'Connor, who could be seen as a visionary and martyr after destroying her career for the cause (remember when she tore up the Pope picture on Saturday Night Live back in '92?), is instead being labelled as a potential assassin so crappy media outlets can sell papers and get pageviews.

I would prefer to think of O'Connor as unorthodox, unwavering in her beliefs, and a talented singer who could not survive the attention that came with it.